CHERKLEY COURT, WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1028629

Date first listed: 24-Aug-1990

Statutory Address: CHERKLEY COURT, WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS, REIGATE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHERKLEY COURT, WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028629 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 11:41:13.

Location

Statutory Address: CHERKLEY COURT, WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS, REIGATE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 17816 54449

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEATHERHEAD REIGATE ROAD TQ/15/SE (south side, off) 6/158 Cherkley Court, with attached garden walls

GV II

Large house. c.1870, for Abraham Dixon, rebuilt after fire in 1893 (rainwater heads dated 1869 on service wing, 1893 on main range); acquired c.1907 by Max Aitken (Lord Beaverbrook), who improved it internally, and made some additions. Mostly stuccoed brick, with some ashlar, and slate roofs. Irregular plan on north- south axis with a large U-shaped service block attached at the north-east corner and a flat-roofed pavilion (probably an addition) at the south-east corner. Eclectic style, with classical features. Two and 3 storeys; banded rustication at ground floor, pilasters of 2 superimposed orders (Tuscan at ground floor, Ionic above, and coupled at the corners) with an intermediate cornice, a modillioned eaves cornice, and balustraded parapet (these carried round); hipped and mansard roofs, with various tall corniced chimneys. The east front has a projected 3-bay centre which has a prominent balustraded Tuscan porch protecting a wide round- headed doorway with rusticated surround, large keystone, carved swags, and panelled double doors under a semicircular fanlight; sashed windows on both floors, those at ground floor with keystones and those above segmental-headed with shouldered architraves (but that to the left altered as a casement); and a carved upstand in the centre of the parapet. To the left is a projecting single- storey flat-roofed pavilion of banded ashlar masonry with vermiculated corner pilasters, moulded cornice, balustraded parapet with urns, and a sashed window in the front protected by a wrought-iron screen. To the right is a narrow one-bay link and a 2-storey canted bay which have features and fenestration like those of the centre. The service block forms a projecting wing at this end, of 3 storeys to the same height and 5x4 bays, with a plinth, 1st floor sill-band, a banded corner pilaster, cornice and balustrade like the main front, keyed architraves to the windows at 1st floor and lugged architraves to those at 2nd floor (which are square); its front wall has no openings in the 1st bay, a round- headed doorway in the 2nd bay, but is otherwise, matching; and on the north side an L-shaped single-storey outbuilding encloses a courtyard between the unequal rear wings. The west front of the main range is symmetrical, with 2-storey canted bays flanking a 5-bay centre, which has a balustraded loggia of Tuscan columns and round-headed arches protecting tall French windows at ground floor, and at 1st floor 3 windows like those at the front (but with altered glazing) alternating with roundels containing statuettes; the flanking bays have features and fenestration like the front, and tall mansard roofs with projecting sashed dormer windows under segmental pediments, flanked by oculi. Attached to the north side and running north are the front and rear walls of a long terraced garden: the rear wall (screening the garden from the service wing and courtyard behind it) is one storey high, with pilasters and some round-headed doorways and niches, and both have balustraded parapets with urns. The south front, of 3 wide bays, has coupled round-headed French windows in the centre, under a balcony with ornamental cast-iron railings supported by Tuscan columns and large brackets, tripartite windows on both floors (those at ground floor in rectangular bays), and 2 mansard roofs. Interior not inspected. History: the house was the principal home of Lord Beaverbrook, press magnate and politician, and the meeting place of many leading figures of the day from the 1st World War to his death here in 1964. Reference: A.J.P.Taylor Beaverbrook (1974), passim.

Listing NGR: TQ1781654449

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 290554

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Taylor, A J P, Beaverbrook, (1974)

End of official listing