HOSPITAL OF THE BLESSED HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1029289

Date first listed: 01-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: HOSPITAL OF THE BLESSED HOLY TRINITY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOSPITAL OF THE BLESSED HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029289 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 22:50:41.

Location

Statutory Address: HOSPITAL OF THE BLESSED HOLY TRINITY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Guildford (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 99861 49532

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 9949NE GUILDFORD HIGH STREET (North Side) 5/83 Hospital of The 1/5/53 Blessed Holy Trinity (Formerly listed as Abbots Hospital)

GV I Almshouses. 1619-1622, endowed by George Abbot, Archbishop of Canterbury. Dark red brick, originally with chalk dressings now replaced with stone, on flint plinths and with plain tiled roofs; lead covered domes on angle turrets of entrance gateway. Rectangular plan around a central courtyard with sides placed approximately to compass points, entrance front (to south) of half-H shaped plan. Two storey entrance range with third storey in gables to ends, four storey gatehouse to centre. 3-storey sides wings and two storey rear (north) wing. Multiple stacks of two designs, the first comprising square flues with chamfered angles and moulded tops, the second with octagonal flues under corbelled tops with spur projections. Entrance front (south side): moulded plinth with stone string courses above over ground and first floors, moulded brick coping to shaped gables of end wings and tiled coping to remainder. Triple stacks to left end, 4 stacks to right. Stone- dressed mullioned and transomed diamond-pane leaded casement fenestration with one 3-light window on the third floor of each gable under label moulding. One 5-light window on first and ground floors of each end wing with one 3-light window on each floor of return sides. 4-light windows on each floor either side of gateway. Square entrance gateway of three floors with fourth floor in angle turrets, each floor separated by stone string. Rectangular single light leaded casement fenestration on turrets with windows on front face on lower floors and upper windows placed in angled faces. Square sun dial over central second floor string course, 4-light window below with arched heads to stone mullions. Large 5-light mullioned and transomed window on first floor over C19 Coat of Arms in scrolled surround. Rusticated stone frontispiece on ground floor with pedestalled Doric pilaster order supporting entablature, faceted rustication on the pilasters. Round arched surround to double doors with inscribed outer moulding on the arch and faceted rustication on the soffit. Panelled double doors with piered fan patterned heads; coved plaster ceiling in entrance archway leading to central courtyard beyond. 3-light stone- dressed, mullioned fenestration on wings with 4 windows on the ground floor. Two doors in ogee half-octagonal stopped chamfered surrounds to each wing each giving access to staircase. 3-light mullioned first floor fenestration on rear wing, with 4 windows across, 3 mullioned and transomed windows on the ground floor. Round- arched panelled doors to re-entrant end angles and further doors to centre, one leading to passage to rear garden. Central crow-stepped gable with brick corbel decoration across base, diagonal clock face in gable flanked by terracotta panels. Octagonal lantern above with diamond panel decoration on plinth, narrow arched openings and ribbed dome above under scrolled weathervane finial. Stone panel over the centre doors records the foundation of the hospital. Interiors:- Board Room (first floor of gatehouse) - C17 oak panelling with pedestalled fluted Doric pilasters on each wall and modillioned cornice above. Chalk fireplace with strapwork panelling on mantle, small door in north-west corner to turret stairs has original latch and fittings. Lodgings in wings have common C18 staircases and doors. Internal doors tongued and moulded. Chapel (in north west corner of court- yard) - retains original wooden seating and almsbox on a turned post. The stained glass is of differing dates, some C17 possibly from Guildford Friary and some Flemish. Common dining room:- Early C17 panelling with butted mouldings and dentilled cornice; the upper range of panels is carved with flat arabesques. Wide 4-centre arched chalk fireplace with projecting oval hearth, fixed benches around the walls with moulded baluster legs. Early C18 staircase to north west angle with moulded handrail and turned balusters leads to the hall over the dining room which has elaborately carved chalk fireplace. The hospital was based on that of Archbishop Whitgift in Croydon and its statues, drawn up in 1629, provided for 12 brethren and 8 sisters, the brethren in the west wing and the sisters in the east, the number of sisters being increased in 1785 to 12. The Duke of Monmouth was kept in The Board Room for one night on his way back to London, and execution, after the Battle of Sedgemoor.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp.278-80. V.C.H. (1907 EDN) VOL III pp.548-581 WITH ILLUSTRATIONS AND PLANS. GUILDFORD AS IT WAS: MATTHEW ALEXANDER (1978). PROCEEDINGS OF OXFORD ARCHITECTURE AND HISTORY SOC. VOL. 4 (1880-85) pp.347-352.

Listing NGR: SU9986149561

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 288945

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Alexander, M, Guildford As It Was, (1978)
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 548-581
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 278-280
'Proceedings of Oxford Architecture and History Society' in Proceedings of Oxford Architecture and History Society, , Vol. 4, (1885), 347-352

End of official listing