Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1031719

Date first listed: 19-Dec-1961



Ordnance survey map of NETHERGATE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031719 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 19:51:41.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)

Parish: Clare

National Grid Reference: TL 76866 45130


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. CLARE CLARE 2006 Nethergate Street (South-East Side) No 8 (Nethergate Hotel) TL 74 NE 18/109 19.12.6l.


2. An early C16 timber-framed and plastered house with a centre block - and slightly lower side wings with exposed timber framing and jettied upper storeys. It was owned by several generations of a wealthy clothiers family named Crosse and was extensively altered by Francis Crosse in 1644. 2 storeys and attics. The centre block has 4 window range, the north wing has 3 window range and the south wing 1 window range, mullioned and transomed casements with leaded lights. The jettied upper storeys of the side wings are carried on bressumers carved with running-leaf ornamentation supported by brackets with drop finials. The exposed studding is closely spaced. The centre block is plastered in panels. A 2-panel bolection moulded door has a late C17 wood doorcase with pilasters and a pediment on console brackets. 5 short gabled wings project at the rear (1 with exposed timber-framing and a long wing extends to the south-east, with exposed timber-framing. A dormer at the rear bears the date 1644 and the initials FCE (Francis Crosse and his wife Elizabeth ). There is also a lead rain waterhead with the date 1760 and the, initials A over DM . Originally there were 2 long wings at the rear but one was burnt down in 1900 and partly rebuilt. Roof tiled, with 2 gabled dormers on the front of the centre block and 4 C17 style chimney stacks rebuilt in the early C20, with octagonal shafts spur caps and moulded bases. The interior was much altered in 1644 when a fire staircase with turned balusters and carved newels was added at the side of the hall. The other staircase is of the William and Mary period. There are moulded beams and ceiling joists, some C17 Panelling on the ground storey and some C18 panelling on the 1st storey.

Nos 1 to 9 (consec) with all the listed buildings on the North-West Side of Nethergate Street and all the listed buildings on the South Side of Well Lane form a group.

Listing NGR: TL7686645130


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 283022

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing