CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1032106

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, BECCLES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032106 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 19:47:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, BECCLES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney (District Authority)

Parish: Barnby

National Grid Reference: TM 48073 89938

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARNBY BECCLES ROAD TM 48 NE 2/1 Church of St. John the - Baptist

- II*

Parish church. Medieval, restored 1882. Nave and chancel (in one), west tower, north porch. Flint rubble with remains of plasterwork; brick quoins to west end, otherwise stone dressings. Thatched roof. Square unbuttressed tower, probably C14, with 2-light west window; C15 belfry stage with 2-light openings; crenellated parapet. C13 nave and chancel, the windows mainly with Y-tracery (some renewed); 2 renewed lancet windows at west end. In the south east wall is an original double lancet window, now blocked. 3-light east window with intersecting tracery (restored). Unmoulded north doorway, blocked south doorway in brick. Pebbledash-rendered porch, probably C19. Interior. C19 boarded ceiling. C13 octagonal font bowl of Purbeck marble, with 2 shallow blank arches to each face. The banner stave locker in the south west nave retains its original pierced traceried door, a unique survival. In the south nave are remains of 3 C15 wall paintings depicting the Crucifixion, the Works of Mercy around a figure of Christ, and St. Christopher; there is a further small painting on the north wall. Arms of George IV dated 1825 in base of tower.

Listing NGR: TM4807389938

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 282030

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing