This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STOW LODGE HOSPITAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STOW LODGE HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1032951

Location

STOW LODGE HOSPITAL, UNION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Onehouse

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 279932

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ONEHOUSE UNION ROAD TM 05 NW

2/157 Stow Lodge Hospital - - II

Hospital; built 1781 as The Union Workhouse. (A "House of Industry under the Gilbert Act" according to White's Directory 1855). Red brick. Slated roof with modillioned wooden eaves cornice. Two deep internal chimneys of red brick. A:B:C:B:A. A central entrance block of 3 windows with a modillioned pediment above; in the tympanium is a painted wooden sundial with cartouche surround. Flanking set-back ranges of 5 windows each, and hipped terminal blocks of 2 windows. 3 storeys throughout. Sashes with small panes; the normal form has a flat arch of gauged brick. The ground storey windows of Blocks A and B are recessed within shallow round arches of gauged brick springing from bands of painted stone; the windows are also round-arched and the glazing bars radiate into the head. The centre block has tripartite sashes with cambered heads. Two outer windows at 1st storey have round-arched heads with brick keystones: small pane casements with transomes and radiating mullions rising into the head. The entrance was remodelled in mid C20 to provide a porte-cochere linked to a single-storey office. At either end of the building is an original rear wing of 2 storeys and 4 windows. Other C20 extensions to side and rear, not of special interest.

Listing NGR: TM0333459099

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in Whites Directory, (1855)

National Grid Reference: TM 03334 59099

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032951 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2018 at 05:57:14.

End of official listing