CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033854 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 15:48:37.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- Ogbourne St. Andrew
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 18834 72345
SU 17 SE OGBOURNE ST ANDREW VILLAGE CENTRE
7/62 Church of St. Andrew
Anglican parish church. Late C12, C13, C14 and restored 1847-9 by
William Butterfield. Flint with limestone dressings, nave
pebbledashed. Tower of limestone ashlar. Lead roofs, but slate to
chancel and stone slates on porch. Nave with north and south
aisles and south porch. C13 chancel, restored, and C14 west tower
inserted into west bay of nave. North door round arched, with
chevron hoodmould and mask terminals, and a weathered head above.
South porch rebuilt 1914, the inner door round-arched Transitional
work with nook shafts and dog-tooth hoodmould. Mass dial on right
jamb. Chancel has clasping buttresses and lancet windows, and
reticulated east window. Low-side window and priest's door. Two-
light clerestory windows to nave. Aisles have tall 3 and 4-light
windows with ogee tracery and square heads. West tower of 3
stages with south-west polygonal stair turret, 2-light bell
openings and crenellated parapet. West tower door has flattened
casement mouldings and 3-light Perpendicular window over.
Interior: Nave arcade originally 3 bays, now two, round arches
with one recessed order on round columns and late C12 crocketed
trumpet capitals, the south-east respond carved, the north-east
mutilated. Clerestory windows and low pitched C15 roof of moulded
tie beams, purlins, ridge and wall plates. Both aisles of 5 roof
bays clasping tower, also with lateCl5-C16 moulded roofs. Old
plaster. Nineteenth century chancel arch leading to tile-paved
chancel with C19 trussed rafter roof. Tiled reredos. Shouldered
piscina, reusing C12 trumpet capital as base. Mid wall string.
Shouldered door opening in north wall giving access to pulpit. C15
tower inserted into third bay of nave; hollow chamfered tower arch
and similar arches to aisles. Squints through internal buttresses
from west end of aisles. Tower has fine tierceron vault with ring
for bell trap, and large foliated bosses at all intersections.
Fittings: Font, at west end of nave, plain octagon on square base.
Pulpit, altar rail and pews all C19, by Butterfield. Tower
enclosed by screens. Monuments: Chancel: on north wall, C17
gilded alabaster wall monument; a shouldered frame with recessed
circular niche containing busts clasping skull. Scrolled broken
pediment with crested and mantled arms. Below,in predella, eight
children kneeling, 6 holding skulls of premature death. Below,
inset inscription to William and Elizabeth Goddard, erected by
their son Thomas, 1655. South wall, chaste white marble scroll on
large slate, by Tanner of Swindon, to Mary Tanner, died 1863. In
sanctuary, scroll on slate, to William Large of Wilsford, and wife,
died 1874. In nave, C17 heavily pedimented wall monument, gilded
limestone, a scrolled open pediment and central crested arms.
Floral supports and inset slate tablet to Ann Seymour (Goddard)
died 1687. North aisle, 9 wall tablets, white marble on slate, to
Rev Richard Heighway, died 1847, John Pinnegar, by Tarrant of
Swindon, 1876, and on east wall a group of C19 Canning monuments
including Sir Samuel Canning, died 1908, pioneer of marine cable
laying across the Atlantic and Mediterranean. South Aisle:
coloured wall monument, early C19, corniced panel with urn over,
and light relief flower basket on apron, to Robert Canning, died
1811, and sister Jane. Eulogies. Also an unfixed headstone with
shaped top and naive lettering, to Francis Wyer 'with her babe',
died 1692. Four scriptural boards of wood covered in canvas.
Furniture: Late C17 table frame, restored, installed as south
aisle altar. C18 panelled chest in nave. Restoration style
upholstered chair and C19 American Estey portable organ. Glass in
north aisle of 1884. The church was a dependency of the Abbey of
Bec Hellouin from the C12 to early C15.
(VCH, Wiltshire, XII; Pevsner,Buildin s of England: Wiltshire)
Listing NGR: SU1883272345
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Crowley, B A, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1983)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing