CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1035541
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035541.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:01:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Butlers Marston
National Grid Reference:
SP 32058 49949

Details

BUTLERS MARSTON SP3249 10/3 Church of SS. Peter and Paul 13/10/66

GV II*

Church. C12, C14 and C15. Restored 1872. Coursed, squared limestone and ironstone ashlar, with ironstone dressings. Old and new tile roof. Chancel, nave with south aisle and west tower. Chancel of C12 origins is of one bay, with plinth, diagonal buttresses and coped gable. To east a C19 window of 3 trefoiled lights and reticulated tracery. Hood mould with carved label stops. To north a C19 single trefoiled light with ogee head, hood mould and carved label stops. Small outshut attached to right. C19 vestry to south has chimney, plank door with moulded surrounds and a 2-light mullioned window with carved lintel. Nave of 3 bays has plinth, offset buttresses, and coped gabled with restored sanctus bell-cote to east. To north three C19 windows of 2 trefoiled lights and plate tracery. Hood moulds with carved label stops. Late C12 south aisle widened C14. To centre left a C19 door within C14 pointed ovolo moulded arch with hood mould and label stops. C19 gabled vestry. Doorway with pointed, chamfered arch, hood mould and carved label stops. Small light to either side. To left a C15 squareheaded, 2-light mullioned window with restored chamfered surrounds, hood mould and label stops. To right a squareheaded, 4-light mullioned window with hood mould and label stops. Attached to west wall three C19 memorials. C15 tower of 3 stages with plinth, offset diagonal buttresses rising to bell tower stage and a string course to each stage, that to embattled parapet with carved heads and animals. To west a C15 window of 2 trefoiled lights, double chamfered surround and hood mould with carved label stops. To second stage on north and south a single chamfered light. Bell stage has 3 two-light trefoiled windows with transoms, the lights below trefoiled. Stone slate louvres, hood moulds and label stops. Interior: east window of chancel has original C14 inner splays and chamfered arch. C19 vestry doorway and arch. C19 chancel arch and roof. Nave has south arcade of 3 bays with late C12 round piers with flat leaf capitals, square abaci and pointed arches. Responds to east and west have moulded bases. To west, a small squint into the chancel. C15 tower arch with double chamfered surrounds, and a pair of moulded capitals to each side continuing into moulded band on west wall. C17 low pitch roof to nave with chamfered tie beams, purlins and rafters, with stops, carved bosses and C19 angel corbels. C19 roof to south aisle. Stained C19 glass in chancel and north wall. In north of chancel wall a pair of monuments dated 1790 and 1791. Above south arcade a hatchment. Below a wall tablet dated 1684. C15 octagonal font with quatrefoils, and cusped lights around shaft. Polygonal pulpit dated 1632, much restored C19. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.222; V.C.H.: Warwickshire, pp.28-30).

Listing NGR: SP3205849949

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
307240
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 222

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 2005
Reference: IOE01/14779/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].