This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1036378



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Horningsham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 313331

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HORNINGSHAM CHAPEL STREET ST 84 SW (east side) 2/110 Horningsham Congregational Chapel 11.9.68


Congregational chapel. Probably c1700, interior restorations 1754, 1816 and 1863. Random rubble stone with brick dressings, half- hipped thatched roof. Gable end to road. Single storey with internal gallery, 3 windows. Entrance to east gable end; double C19 doors in reveals, 20-pane segmental-headed sash over, Bath Sun fire insurance plaque over door. North side has three 2-light leaded casements and blocked doorway, 2-light leaded casements to three eyebrow dormers lighting gallery. South side has same windows and two buttresses with offsets. West end has two leaded cross windows with segmental-headed lights and cast-iron plaque with date 1566. Interior: gallery on three sides, supported on turned wooden columns, panelled front and pews probably of c1816. Early C19 pentagonal panelled pulpit on pedestal with reeded wooden panel with broken pediment behind, at west end. Circular clock over east end of gallery, row of wooden chapel hat pegs along north side of gallery. Pews in body of chapel late C19. Wooden tablet on north wall records ministers from 1791 to 1959. Arch-braced collar roof is plastered to form a segmental barrel vaulted ceiling, repaired in 1960s. The chapel is reputed to have been founded in 1566 for the Scottish Presbyterian workmen, employed on the building of Longleat House (q.v.), but no documentary evidence supports this and the present building is hardly earlier than c1700. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975.)

Listing NGR: ST8120541136

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: ST 81205 41136


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036378 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 03:31:34.

End of official listing