THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1038817

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1964

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038817 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 08:04:43.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield (District Authority)

Parish: Clifton Campville

National Grid Reference: SK2528410881

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 2510 11/14 27.2.64

CLIFTON CAMPVILLE C.P.

MAIN STREET (south side) The Old Rectory (formerly listed as The Rectory)

GV

II

Priest's house. C15 core, remodelled circa 1600, and again in 1778; restored circa 1980. Red brick, now rendered with sandstone quoins to the lower part of the east wing; plain tile roof with coped verges; brick stacks. H-plan; hall range of 3 roof bays aligned east-west facing south with the opposed entrances of a former cross passage at the west end and a chimney stack at the east end; flanking crosswings, each of 3 roof bays, aligned north-south. North elevation: central hall range flanked by projecting gabled crosswings. 2 storeys and attic; 1:2:1 windows, C18 glazing bar sashes, the wings have ground-floor Venetian windows. 6-panelled door to right-hand side of hall range within a moulded stone surround of circa 1600, C18 fanlight with radiating glazing bars cut through the massive lintel. South elevation: central hall range and projecting gabled crosswings to left and right. 1:3:1 windows, C18 glazing bar sashes, those to both sides of the hall range and east wing replace mullioned and transomed windows of circa 1600. Half-glazed door to left hand side of hall range with stone surround and C18 fanlight with radiating glazing bars cut through the lintel. Large canted bay window to east side of east wing. Interior: The Hall occupies the whole of the ground floor of the central range; much re-used timber incorporated in the ceiling but a C15 cross beam on the line of the former screen to the cross passage is in situ; it has a double-ogee and concave quarter circle moulding facing the upper (east) end of the room. Stone fireplace of circa 1600 at the east end of the hall with an ogee and concave quarter circle moulding and a Tudor arch with sunken spandrels. The hall range is roofed with C17 queen strut trusses. West wing: chamfered and stopped cross beams and flat joists over the ground floor rooms, probably C15; the chamfer stops of the northernmost set of joists are embedded within the north wall. C17 queen strut roof trusses. East wing: staircase of circa 1800 with cast iron stick balusters and wreathed hand rail. C15 clasped purlin roof with cambered tie beams and raking queen struts extending to the collars. Most of the C18 windows throughout the house retain panelled wooden shutters. Stebbing Shaw, The History and Antiquities of Staffordshire Vol. I (1798) p.398.

Listing NGR: SK2528410881

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 272766

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Shaw, S, The History and Antiquities of Staffordshire, (1798), 398

End of official listing