Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040983.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:25:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 76449 52928



5/38 Church of St. Peter and St. 03/05/68 Paul


Church. C13-C17, reseated and refloored 1886, partly restored 1897, further restoration in 1912. Coursed ironstone rubble, with ironstone dressings and lead roofs. Chancel, north chancel chapel, aisled nave, north and south porches and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 5-light east window with late C19/early C20 intersecting tracery. Blocked priest's door to south with ogee-arched head and continuous wave moulding. 1-light low-side window to south-west with cusped head and 3-light windows to south with cinquefoil-headed lights and intersecting tracery. Blocked window to north with wave-moulded stone surround. Chancel has chamfered plinth, string course at sill level, off-set lateral buttresses to east end and plain stone-coped parapet to south only. All windows and door have hood moulds. North chancel chapel continues north aisle and has blocked low-side window to north-east with straight head and chamfered stone surround and 3-light window to north with straight head, wave-moulded stone mullions, leaded panes and hood mould. Nave has plain stone-coped parapet. Aisles have C17 3-light round-arched mullion windows with cut spandrels and hood moulds, and plain stone-coped parapets. South door has 6-panel double-leaf doors, round trefoiled head under blank round arch and hood mould. South porch has doorway with polygonal responds, wave-moulded arch and hood mould, and 2-light windows east and west with ogee-arched lights, straight heads and chamfered stone surrounds, that to west with hood mould; small blocked window above porch doorway. Chamfered north door with hood mould and 6-panel door in C19 gabled porch. 3-stage tower has many-moulded west door. 2-light window above with cinquefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil to head, 1-light windows to middle stage with cusped heads and 2-light Decorated bell-chamber openings. Windows and door. have hood moulds, offset diagonal buttresses and battlemented parapets. Offset buttress between north aisle and chapel and low buttress to west angle of north aisle. Interior: chancel has fine piscina and 3-seat sedilia, all with ogee heads and crocketed hood moulds. Piscina has blank flowing tracery to head. Sedilia have fleurons to continuous chamfered surround, cinquefoil-headed lights and blank shields to spandrels. Aumbry with pair of pointed arches. Arch to chapel has polygonal responds and double-chamfered arch. Similar chancel arch. Nave has -bay arcades. North arcade has one octagonal pier and one circular pier, the latter with stiff-leaf carving to capital and chamfered and wave-moulded arches. South arcade has octagonal piers and single-chamfered arches. Perpendicular tie beam roof, much renewed. Plain circular tub font; conical wood cover with ball finial. Early C19 Gothick communion table at end of north aisle. Fragment of medieval wall painting with upper halves of female figures against west side of west pier of south arcade. Late C19 stain glass chancel windows to south. 4 hatchments, oil on canvas. Monuments: chest tomb with rhyming inscription to limestone base and black marble ledger stone with indents of brasses to Richard 0useley d.1599 and family. Monument to Sir Samuel Jones d,1672 and his wife Mary, of black and white marble with large kneeling figures on base with inscription, flanked by Ionic columns with broken segmental pediment framing cartouche of arts. Attributed to William Stanton. Marble wall monument by William Cox Senior to Sir Charles Wake d.1769 with apron, Corinthian pilasters of veined marble, winged skull surmounted by canopy above inscription. Wall monument to Isla Campbell d.1837 aged 6 weeks framing soft paste porcelain model of dead child in niche behind glass. Numerous other C19 and C20 marble wall monuments to members of Wake family. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, pp165-6; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1936)

Listing NGR: SP7644952928


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 165-6
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1936)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16742/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Arthur Hanley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].