CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041535.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 03:17:17.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
- Yardley Hastings
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 86616 57063
YARDLEY HASTINGS HIGH STREET
SP8657 (East side)
17/175 Church of St. Andrew
Church. C13 and C14. Restored 1883-1889 by George Sutherland, including rebuilding of aisles and new nave roof. Further C20 restorations. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone and ironstone dressings, lead and plain-tile roofs. Chancel, aisled nave, south porch and west tower. 3-bay chancel has 4-light east window with reticulated tracery and 2-light windows to south with straight heads and ogee-arched heads to lights, all with hood moulds and label stops renewed C20, That to south-west has lower portion, blocked below transom. Chamfered priest's doorway to south with old plank door. Nave has 5-window clerestory of 2-light windows with straight heads, ogee-arched heads to lights and hood moulds. North aisle has 2-light windows to north with straight heads, ogee-arched heads to lights and hood moulds, and similar 3-light windows to east and west ends. South aisle has similar 2- and 3-light windows. Restored double hollow-chamfered north door with hood mould. Single-stepped and hollow-chamfered south doorway, with medieval ridged and studded plank door, probably C14, with original hinges, brattished cross-piece at level of springing of arch, cusped arch mouldings and scalloped top. C19 porch with double-chamfered doorway and paired cusped chamfered 1-light windows to east and west sides. 3-stage west tower has small plank door to north-east in pegged wood surround with overlight divided by plain wood mullion, one half glazed with diamond-leaded panes, and wood lintel. Pilaster buttress to middle of west side. 1-light windows to middle stage south and west. Twin nook-shafted bell-chamber openings with central shaft and round-headed lights, framed by rounded-headed arch. Worn dog-tooth ornament to heads of lights of south and east bell-chamber openings. A single 1-light window with round head to east of south bell-chamber opening. Original early C13 corbel table and C15 battlemented parapet. Diagonal off-set buttresses to west angles. Interior: chancel has much restored ogee-arched sedilia and piscina. Nave has 4-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals, corbels either end of arcades and double-chamfered arches. South aisle has pointed trefoil-headed piscina and image brackets either side of east window, that to left with carved head, that to right with foliage. C19 Communion Table supported by Elizabethan or Jacobean Ionic terms probably belonging to original communion rail. Large brass chandelier hanging in nave, presented 1808 by Reverend George Rooke and signed Cocks and Son, Birmingham with 10 branches in 2 tiers, ormolu rococo flame finial and rise and fall mechanism. Another smaller 6-branch chandelier in south aisle with similar mechanism; probably part of same gift. Royal arms of George III, oil on board. 2 funeral hatchments, oil on board, one with Compton arms, the other with arms of Reverend George Rooke, d,1856, Early C20 stain-glass windows to chancel and south aisle. Monuments: wall monument of white marble with slate inscription panel to John Wilson d.1695. Latin inscription is flanked by volutes and topped by swans neck pediment and cartouche of arms. Wall monument to Reverend Humfrey Betty d.l737 and his wife Dorothy d.1717 with veined grey marble apron and lamp with flame finial. Veined grey marble wall monument to William Underwood d.1760, postmaster of Oxford, Witney and Burford "who by care and industry acquired/An handsom Furtune/which he by will divided amongst his/Poor Relations./Being born in this Parish/It was his dying request/To be buried near the Rails/In this Chancel". Apron and lamp finial. Veined white marble wall monument to Reverend Edward Lye d.1767 signed by William Co of Northampton. Apron and pediment, upright oval inscription panel and bracket in front bearing book, quill and inkwell. Wall monument of white marble on grey marble ground to George Rooke d.1807, erected by his father, rector of this parish. Apron with martial trophy and arms and urn finial. Other early-mid C19 wall monuments. The architect for the restoration of the church, George Sutherland, was clerk of the works to the Castle Ashby estate. The work was carried out by the estate at the expense of 4th Marquis of Northampton. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p471; VCH; Northamptonshire: Vol IV: 1937, pp298-300; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire: 1932; Parish records deposited in Northamptonshire Record Office)
Listing NGR: SP8661657063
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 471
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1937)
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1932)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing