Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042073.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 21:51:35.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NU 03881 04533


CARTINGTON CARTINGTON NU 00 SW 16/7 Ruins of Cartington Castle 21.10.53 I

Fortified Manor House: Several C14 and early C15 builds; alterations and extensions in late C16 or early C17; partial demolition following 1648 siege, with part of hall range and north-east tower remodelled afterwards; fell into ruins early in C19; excavation, repairs and some restoration 1887 by C.C. Hodges for Lord Armstrong. Squared stone. Plan: Hall range with solar (north-east) tower at east end and rectangular courtyard on south, with C16/17 east range and medieval south-east turret; only traces survive of outer courtyard to north and post-medieval walled orchard to south.

Hall range: South elevation shows chamfered and moulded plinths, and projecting semi-octagonal stair turret with chamfered setbacks and loops; left moulded ground-floor doorway, partly restored; right inserted C16/17 lst-floor door. On far right remains of C16/17 stair projection. Scattered fenestration includes 3 large 2-light windows of 1887, re-using old materials but not all in correct positions. Other outer walls of range only stand to 1st floor level, with several chamfered doorways and loops; on north the lower part of a large flying buttress. Interior: tower basement has 3 barrel-vaulted chambers and well shaft; eastern of 3 rooms beneath hall retains part of its segmental vault. Wall between tower and hall stands to 3-storey height. Several original doorways, fireplaces and stairs including full-height newel stair in turret.

Walls around courtyard: East wall stands to lst floor level, with inserted C16/17 doorway and window; outer walls of east range ruined. South-east turret has barrel-vaulted chamber and projection with lst-floor garderobe. 2-metre high south wall is post-medieval reconstruction except for traces of tower, perhaps original gatehouse, at west end. Cl7 west wall has central gateway with rusticated piers, the southern retaining part of its moulded cap. Inside courtyard, remains of detached C16/17 stair to let-floor hall range, and foundations of demolished range of similar date.

Historical notes: Built for the Cartington family (licence to crenellate 1441). In 1494 it passed by marriage to the Radcliffes and later to the Widdringtons, Sir Edward Widdrington holding it briefly for the King in the 1648 siege. Detailed description by H.L. Honeyman in Northumberland County History XV, 375-80 (1940).

Listing NGR: NU0387804533


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Honeyman, H L , The Victoria History of the County of Northumberland, (1940), 375-380


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/09959/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth Robinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].