CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1045707
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, TOWN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045707 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 11:38:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, TOWN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Bassetlaw (District Authority)
Parish:
Askham
National Grid Reference:
SK 73973 75000

Details

SK 77 NW ASKHAM TOWN STREET (west side)

3/1 Church of St. Nicholas 1.2.67

G.V II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, late C14, C15, restored and re- roofed 1863, further restored 1907. Coursed rubble, dressed coursed rubble and ashlar. Tile roofs. Single stack to south nave. Tower, nave, south porch and chancel. The C15 diagonally buttressed tower of 2 stages with a band at the juncture is set on a plinth with a moulded band over. Embattled with 8 crocketed pinnacles it has 2 gargoyles to both the north and south sides. The west side has a single arched window with 3 cusped lights. There are 4 arched bell chamber openings each with 2 arched lights and panel tracery. There are single rectangular stair lights to the west and north and 2 to the south. The east side has a single clock face. The raised north nave wall has a continuous sill band broken by the doorway. Single late C14 3 light window with cusped lights and mouchettes under a flat arch with hood mould. To the left is a pointed double chamfered arched doorway and hood mould and further left are 3 similar windows. The C13 coursed rubble chancel has 2 C13 lancets in the north wall. The buttressed east end has a single C14 arched window with 3 cusped lights and cusped trefoils over. There is a single transom and the window is blocked under this. The south chancel has a single double C13 lancet. To the left is a pointed chamfered arched doorway. The raised C12 south nave wall has a continuous sill band broken by the porch. There are 3 late C14 3 light windows with cusped lights and mouchettes under flat arches with hood moulds. To the left is the 1907 ashlar and tile porch with coped gable and single ridge cross. Set on a chamfered plinth with moulded arched entrance, hood mould and label stops. The inner moulded pointed arched doorway has a hood mould with head label stops. Further left is a single similar 3 light window and hood mould. Interior. The inner chamfer of the double chamfered tower arch is supported on corbels. There is a C20 screen under. In the north wall at the junction of nave and chancel and set diagonally is a single niche with cusped ogee arch. In the south chancel wall is an ogee arched piscina, in front is the remains of a C13 shaft piscina with nailhead decoration. The north and south nave walls have single cusped niches. The late C17 altar rails have heavily twisted balusters. There is a panelled pulpit. The remaining furniture is C20 with an octagonal font.

Listing NGR: SK7397375000

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
241504
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/11907/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].