CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1046569
Date first listed:
22-May-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
10-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046569.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:59:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Horton-cum-Studley
National Grid Reference:
SP 59317 12472

Details

HORTON CUM STUDLEY CHURCH LANE SP5912 (North side) Horton 14/58 Church of St. Barnabas 22/05/73 (Formerly listed as St. Barnabas's Church) - II Church. 1867 by William Butterfield. Polychrome brick with limestone-ashlar dressings; plain-tile roof. Nave, north aisle, chancel and south porch. Gothic-revival style. Short chancel has, to east, 3 trefoil-headed lancets under a hood mould; to north, 3 grouped lancets and, to south, a small hipped-roofed vestry with narrow windows with shouldered arches. Nave has, to south, 2 paired lancets under hood moulds, plus a single lancet near the porch. The outer arch of the porch is pointed segmental and of 2 chamfered orders. The central section of the nave west wall breaks forward to contain the 3-light window, with early-Decorated tracery, and rises to a buttressed and gabled double bellcote with 2 shouldered arches. The nave roof continues over the narrow north aisle which has only a sexfoil window to east and a small lancet to west. All walls are in yellow stock brick with banding in light-red and flared bricks, and have diapering in the upper parts. The gables of the porch and bellcote and the spandrels of the east window, are in patterned unbonded work. Interior: chancel walls have polychrome interlacing diapering, and the north window has detached Purbeck-marble shafts. The responds of the brick chancel arch are probably of slate. The 7-canted roof is panelled over the sanctuary bay. The nave has wall patterning similar to the exterior, and has a 4-bay wooden north arcade with solid spandrels rising to an arcade plate: the roof has arch-braced collar trusses. C19 fittings including font and reredos. Contemporary stained glass in chancel and c.1893 in south windows of nave. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.75; Buildings of England; Oxfordshire, p.656).

Listing NGR: SP5931712472

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
243295
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 656
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 75

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06435/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Eric Sewell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].