CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1049211
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049211.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:53:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Hempstead
National Grid Reference:
TG 10470 37038

Details

HEMPSTEAD TG 13 NW 3/25 Church of All Saints 4.10.60 II*

Parish church, C14 and later, altered and re-roofed in C18. Coursed flint and brick with black glazed pantile roof. North-west tower and vestry, nave (formerly south aisle) with apse, south porch. Tower: medieval east half of flint, west half rebuilt in brick, dated 1744 on plaque on south side; brick parapet; bell openings on all 4 sides in honeycombed brick; 2 large stepped buttresses in brick to west. Medieval gargoyle incorporated into low flint lean-to under pantiles to west. Buttress to south of tower in undressed flint. West wall of nave in galletted coursed flint; brick parapet to gable; early C14 2-light window under trefoil. Nave walls of coursed flint; eaves rebuilt in brick with dentil cornice; 2 windows each side of 3 lights with plain heads, the mullions, some renewed, are medieval with tracery removed. Two C18 slanting brick buttresses to north. One brick and flint buttress of 1925 to south wall. Brick east gable surmounted by cross. Thatched apse of 1925 in pebble flint with brick dressings; two narrow round headed lights; east window of 1876 in C14 style repositioned in apse, 2 lights under a trefoil, label stops of foliage. Porch with plain rendered brick arch; brick gable surmounted by cross; quoins of alternating narrow bricks and flints. South door with deep continuous ogee moulding under hood mould. Vestry to east of tower, of rendered flint with lean-to roof of black glazed pantiles to present nave has north doorway, with internal rear arch, now blocked and part glazed, with hollow chamfered continuous moulding and deeply rolled hood mould. Interior: C18 west galley supported by earlier moulded joists; large rendered round headed arch to vestry, possibly C18; tall plain tower arch to vestry; one medieval bench with multilated poppy heads; late C17/early C18 communion table with renewed top; communion rails incorporate thin C18 barley sugar balusters; chancel fittings of 1876; one medieval encaustic tile by door.

Listing NGR: TG1047037038

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224054
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Nov 2003
Reference: IOE01/11150/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].