EARSHAM HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1050397

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1951

Statutory Address: EARSHAM HALL, HALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of EARSHAM HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050397 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 18:36:36.

Location

Statutory Address: EARSHAM HALL, HALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Earsham

National Grid Reference: TM 30803 89821

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5321 EARSHAM HALL ROAD Earsham Hall TM 38 NW 17/2 11.9.51

II*

2. Early C18 house with work by Soane circa 1784, and with C17 office wing and some late C19 alterations. Designed and built circa 1707 by John Buxton, 1685-1731, an amateur architect, who sold it to Colonel Windham in 1721. A large plain red brick house, with parapet, hipped slate roof, moulded stone cornice and string courses. Three storeys. East front 2:3:2 bays, centre 3 bays recessed slightly. Tall sashes with glazing bars and with flat rubbed brick arches, first floor centre, 3 windows in moulded architraves with cornices on console brackets. Ground floor centre later porch in place of colonnade. South elevation 5 bays, later ground floor bay window. Wing to north-east: ground floor, circa 1750, Duke of Cumberland's dining room, and with late C19 storey above. Adjoining to the north is late C17 wing/offices, of earlier house, long red brick range with steep black glazed pantile roof with hipped ends, 2 storeys and attic, 4:3:6 bays, centre advanced slightly with shaped gable containing clock face, mainly 2-light mullion/transom casements under segmental arches, 4 gabled dormers, cupola over centre, and brick string course at floor level. Service wing adjoining north-east of late C17 wing: C18 red brick block with hipped black glazed pantile roof, 3 storeys, south elevation asymmetrical, 1:4:1 bays, end bays advanced, east elevation 4 bays with segmental-headed casements. Interior: Entrance hall with marble chimney piece and good staircase with 3 turned balusters to each tread. Drawing room with 2 contemporary marble chimney pieces and plaster ceilings. Other contemporary panelled rooms and later C18 chimney pieces. Small ground floor room with C17 panelling from earlier house. Soane's library added to south-east circa 1784 with fine plastered ceiling and frieze and marble chimney piece, most of the bookshelves have been taken out. Duke of Cumberland's dining room of circa 1750 with fine plasterwork and panelling and with marble chimney piece. NMR Photographs.

Listing NGR: TM3080389821

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 225331

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing