Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051891.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 11:31:28.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Norwich (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 23109 08716


TG 2308 NW ST. ANDREW'S STREET (south side) 16/700 26.2.54 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW GV I Parish Church. Tower 1467 to 1498. South porch C1469. North Porch C.1474 Church 1499 to 1518. Flint with stone and brick dressings. Ashlar facing on nave and chancel. Lead roof. West tower. Nave and chancel in one. North and south aisles and porches. Rood turret against south aisle. 4-stage tower with panelled diagonal buttresses and stair turret on south side. West door with badly weathered shield frieze above. 4-light west window with 2-centre arch. large 3-light belfry windows with intersecting tracery. 2-storey porches built against the tower and in line with the aisles. 5 bays to nave and chancel with an un-aisled half-bay at the east end. Large 4-light perpendicular windows with 2-centre arches. Eleven clerestory windows with triangular pilasters between. The east end has cusped flushwork below plinth with stone shield frieze above. Three statue niches and 2 armorial shields below large 5-light perpendicular east window with 4-centre arch. Small diagonal corner buttresses with run-out concave hollows. Post-medieval re-build of vestry above plinth at the end of the south aisle. The aisle piers have 4 shafts with a concave moulding on the diagonal face. Blind cusped tracery below clerestory windows. Low-pitched roof with heavy ridge-piece and single butt-purlins. Arch-bracing forming a 4-centre profile and springing from wall-shafts supported on angel corbels. The Suckling Chapel in the north aisle is enclosed by an open traceried screen. Good monuments to Robert Suckling (1589). Francis Rugge (1607). Robert Garsett (1613) and Sir John Sucking (1613). Many 018 monuments. Victorian font and pulpit.

Listing NGR: TG2310908716


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16922/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Russell Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].