This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MANOR HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1052609

Location

MANOR HOUSE, ASCOTT D'OYLEY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ascott-under-Wychwood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1956

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251719

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 31 NW 4/8

ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD ASCOTT D'OYLEY Manor House 27.8.56

GV II* Manor House. C13 origins, to one side are fragments of a C12 keep. Largely C16 and C17. Rubble stone with timber lintels and Cotswold stone roofs. Gabled; irregular plan with screens passage, basically an 'L' with porches north and south and two stair turret projections to north, one at angle with west wing, the other to east or centre bay. Roughly six bays across. Two storeys. Two sets of square chimneys with conjoined stacks. The north (entrance) front has Cotswold gables and irregular disposition. In two parts, strong vertical break to right of centre beside a wide dormer gable. Oak mullion window with ferramenta to right of entrance. The right-hand wing is domestic and projects with lean-tos to east, the gable end to north has irregular strings and pigeon-nesting holes, the west return has four windows with chamfered oak mullions. The south (garden) front has large gable to left. Three irregular dormer gables and a roughly central two-storey gabled porch. Two, three and four-light C20 casement windows; secondary door to left. The porch has front window to side entries and masks a good circa 1600 door with urnstops to doorcase and which retains drawbar and associated furniture. Clasping buttress to right, lower angle-storey scullery projection with hipped L-plan nib (? privy); nib to left of left-hand gable probably was a privy.

Interior: numerous features including two probably C17 newel stairs. The most important is the large early C13 window surround incorporated in east gable end which has clasping buttresses and chamfered footings. It seems that the medieval arrangement was altered in the early C16 when the east bay was floored and chimneys inserted into what probably became the parlour end, the wooden doorcase with urn stops and the chamfer stops to the beams on each floor appear to be later C16 however. Stairs off to north giving access to Solar; N.B. the Tudor arch fireplace in 'Solar' moved here from west end of house. It is possible that the whole house was re-roofed in the C16, the central portion perhaps still being used as an open hall, see smoke blackening to the trusses; remains of wind bracing are so scanty and the timbers of such small scanting however as to suggest a later date and retention of trusses after two fires. The present room off the cross passage has Jacobean panelling and puzzling joists; the buttery screen (rather skeletal at time of resurvey) has the usual three entries. The fireplaces at the west end have inglenooks and wide breadovens on ground floor and a wide flue; the doorway between the west bay and the wing projecting to north has a wooden segmental lintel which may be retained from an earlier arrangement. The projecting wing was still coated in raddle at time of resurvey and incorporated apple-stores and a former cheese room.

The house stands within the bailey of the castle of Ascott d'Oyley built circa 1129-50. Excavated 1946. See Antiquaries Journal, Vol XXXIX (July-Oct 1959 Nos 3 and 4) report by Jope and Threlfall.

Listing NGR: SP3021719020

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Journal of the Society of Antiquaries' in July to October, , Vol. 39, (1959)

National Grid Reference: SP 30217 19020

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052609 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 11:01:38.

End of official listing