LIBRARY, WITH WALL AND GATEWAY ATTACHED TO NORTH EAST CORNER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053565

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 04-May-1989

Statutory Address: LIBRARY, WITH WALL AND GATEWAY ATTACHED TO NORTH EAST CORNER, CHURCH VIEW

Map

Ordnance survey map of LIBRARY, WITH WALL AND GATEWAY ATTACHED TO NORTH EAST CORNER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053565 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 16:33:50.

Location

Statutory Address: LIBRARY, WITH WALL AND GATEWAY ATTACHED TO NORTH EAST CORNER, CHURCH VIEW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Bampton

National Grid Reference: SP 31295 03237

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP3003-3103 BAMPTON CHURCH VIEW (West side) 13/71 Library, with wall and gateway 12/09/55 attached to NE corner (Formerly listed as Church View)

GV II Former free school, now library. Circa 1650. Founded by Robert Veysey who left £100 for its erection "in ashleane worke" in will of 1635. First school master not appointed until 1653. Ashlar, with stone slate roof, moulded gable copings and kneelers, and ashlar chimneys. T-plan, with small catslide extension in north-east angle. One storey and attic, 3 bays. Moulded plinth. Hollow chamfered stone mullion windows with arched lights and Tudor hoodmoulds. South side has a 3-light windows to ground floor, and 2 gables between with 2-light windows, the right gable with blocked window and chimney. Central C20 gabled roof dormer with 2-light wooden casement. Inserted C19 board door between left bays. Gable end to road has 4-light window to ground floor and 3-light window above. Far gable end has 2 2-light windows to ground floor and 2 single lights, both boarded up, to attic.a 3-storey porch and stair turret projects to centre of north side, with single lights in attic gables, 2-light stair window, and door to north. Door is set in 4-centred stone arch with moulded spandrels. Attached to catslide extension is short length of rubble stone wall with pitched coping, stepped up over gateway with moulded 4-centred arch. Wall is early C19 but archway may be re-used. Interior has small C18 fireplace in east bay, with moulded wooden architrave and dentil cornice. (Country Life: July 26th 1946; Reverend J.A. Giles: History of the Parish and Town of Bampton, 1848)

Listing NGR: SP3129503237

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 253381

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Giles, JA, History of the Parish and Town of Bampton, (1848)
'Country Life' in 26 July, (1946)

End of official listing