RINDLEFORD MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053715

Date first listed: 08-Aug-1988

Statutory Address: RINDLEFORD MILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of RINDLEFORD MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053715 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 00:57:29.

Location

Statutory Address: RINDLEFORD MILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Worfield

National Grid Reference: SO 73844 95534

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be included:

5357 WORFIELD RINDLEFORD

SO 79 NW 15/79 Rindleford Mill

II GV

Watermill. Mid C19 with C18 origins. Buff brown brick with sandstone in part and plain-tile twin-span roof. 4 storeys. 2-window range to front, 4-window to rear, of 3-light, mainly fixed, windows under segmental brick arches. Centre of front has double height single doorway and projecting wooden hoist gantry on top floor partly within central gable. Further opening to far right on ground floor. Left half front and up to 2nd storey height is of sandstone marking the extent of the C18 structure. This walling continues round to the left end where there are also various windows including one in each gable, and two adjoining 2-storey extensions, that to right with brick lateral stack. Doorways to ground and first floors. Right end has similar fenestration and an extension in poor condition housing a large cast-iron, wood and metal sheet undershot waterwheel approximately 15' in diameter and 7' wide. Interior: chamfered spine beams to ground floor in C18 part but this altered probably in 1846, date on beam (also John ,....), which may be date of rest. Most of machinery has gone but the bedstones of 2 pairs of millstones remain together with a third pair within an iron cover inscribed 'Kay and Hilton, Liverpool' with some remains of hoists and chutes. Mid C19 cast-iron spiral stair- case. Bolted king post roofs. History: originally a fulling mill in the medieval period and used in early C18 as an oil mill, the present structure was a flour mill and also from end of C19 was used to pump water from a well to a reservoir through belting from a pulley on the wheel spindle. In 1936 it was estimated that 30,000 gallons daily were being pumped up to Bromley reservoir. (D H Robinson; The Wandering Worfe; 1982; p 12, 13, 15, 116-117).

Listing NGR: SO7384495534

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 255075

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Robinson, D H, The Wandering Worfe, (1982), 12-15
Robinson, D H, The Wandering Worfe, (1982), 116-117

End of official listing