- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- WALCOT HALL, WALCOT
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054543.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2020 at 08:13:23.
- Statutory Address:
- WALCOT HALL, WALCOT
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- Lydbury North
- National Grid Reference:
SO 38 NW and SO 38 SW
5/133 and 9/133
LYDBURY NORTH C.P. WALCOT Walcot Hall (formerly listed as Walcot) GV II* Country house. Rebuilding of an earlier house after 1763, by Sir William Chambers for Lord Clive, added to in early C19, and remodelled and reduced in size after 1933 by A.T. and Bertram Butler of Wolverhampton. Red brick with ashlar plinth and dressings, and hipped slate roof. Large irregular U-plan with ballroom projecting to south-west. Basement, 2 storeys, and attic. Plinth, flush quoins, coped parapet with balustrading above windows, 9 segmental-headed dormer windows, and 7 stacks; 4 lead downpipes with fluted funnels and rainwater heads with cast griffins. 11 bays; glazing bar sashes with gauged heads; 2 stone lions on low walls flanking 4 steps up to central one storey, 3 bay, ashlar Roman Doric portico with unfluted columns and pilasters; half architrave, triglyph frieze, dentil cornice and lead top; 2 central 3-panelled doors with probably circa 1933 doorcase consisting of moulded architrave, triglyph frieze with paterae and console brackets supporting dentil cornice. South-east front: 2:5:2 bays with recessed centre; parapet with balustrading in centre over outer bays and above third, fifth and seventh bays; dormers behind. North-west front: 8 irregularly spaced bays, partly remodelled in the 1930's. Service wing: projecting to north-east, also remodelled in 1930's; parapet and hipped roof with 3 ridge stacks; 9 bays to rear with glazing bar sashes, and panelled doors in end bays with circa 1933 Tuscan doorcases. Wall projecting to north-east approximately 8 metres long and 2.5 metres high; returning to south-west with 2 piers and 2 one-storey brick lodges with hipped roofs flanking drive. Early C19 Ballroom adjoining to south-west; one storey with stone cornice and blocking course, and hipped roof with 3 stacks to north-west, 7 bay side elevation with large 8-pane sashes; north-east front facing courtyard with balustraded terrace, 8 steps up to two 5-panelled doors with ashlar porch, and linked to main block by flanking arcaded screen wails. Interior: remodelled circa 1933 in a late C18 style but retaining some original features. Panelled doors throughout with moulded architraves, anthemion friezes, and console brackets supporting dentil cornices. Entrance hall: enlarged circa 1933 with coupled-column screen and 4-flight staircase in the style of the early C18; Drawing room to left at front: Chambers cross-beam ceiling with palmette motifs and paterae; frieze with amphora; Chambers fireplace consisting of pilasters with acanthus capitals, fluted frieze with putti and urns, central plaque with horn-of-plenty, cornice, and C18 grate; South room: cross beam ceiling and probably C18 fireplace with two griffins on frieze; Ballroom: ante room with moulded anthemion frieze and cornice, and double folding doors to ballroom with moulded frieze and cornice and 2 large ceiling roses. Lord Clive bought the Walcot estate in 1763 and employed Chambers to enlarge the earlier house on the site; Mr Stevens bought the estate in 1933 and employed the Butlers to remodel the house, which included removing a central pediment on the entrance front and an early C19 tower at south-west corner, greater alterations to other facades, and simplifying the plan by enlarging rooms and creating a central courtyard which separated the ballroom from the main block. Country Life, Vol. LXXXVI, October,14, 1939, pp.388-92, and Vol. CL, November1971, pp.1366-8; N. Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropshire, p.307.
Listing NGR: SO3488484979
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 307
'Country Life' in 14 October, (1939)
'Country Life' in November, , Vol. 86, (1971), 388-92
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing