THE TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1054552
Date first listed:
28-Jul-1950
Statutory Address:
THE TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054552 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 03:55:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bishop's Castle
National Grid Reference:
SO 32344 88950

Details

SO 3288 BISHOP'S CASTLE C.P. HIGH STREET (west side)

12/52 The Town Hall - 28/7/50 GV II*

Town Hall. Circa 1765 with mid- to late-C19 remodelling. Red brick (English bond) with sandstone ashlar base and dressings (refaced with cement render in C19), and slate roof, hipped to south. Rectangular plan. Basement and 2 storeys. South front: rusticated basement and end pilaster strips, ground floor moulded impost band, moulded stone cornice, and central triangular pediment; central wooden cupola consisting of square base with clocks. to south, east and west, cornice, and octagonal bell-stage with Doric columns, frieze, cornice and ogee lead cap with weathervane; flagpole at rear. First floor Venetian window with plain architrave, ground floor round-arched window with late-C19 cast iron glazing bars, moulded architrave, and keystone; 2 circular basement windows with wrought-iron grilles. 5 bay east and west fronts; first floor glazing bar sashes with flush frames and gauged brick heads with keystones, second and fourth to east and that at right to west, blind; ground floor round-arched windows with fluted keystones, continuous moulded impost band, and partly blocked with late-C19 cast-iron glazing bars above; boarded double doors to north in east and west fronts; public lavatories in former lock-up in basement to south. Interior: entrance hall to north with office above, and ground floor hall to south with Courtroom (probably former Council Chamber) above; C18 L-shaped staircase in entrance hall with landing, open string, heavy turned balusters (2 per tread) moulded ramped handrail, and columnular newel posts; possibly C18 'bench' in Courtroom, 2 bays with pilasters and raised panels. Bishop's Castle was a notorious 'rotten borough' before the 1832 Reform Bill and was the smallest in England at its demise in 1967; the Town Clerk's office in the Town Hall contains many old prints of the town, some commemorative items, such as clocks etc., and also many of the old borough records. B.O.E., p.76; Michael Moulder, A Shell Guide to Shropshire, Faber and Faber, 1972.

Listing NGR: SO3234488950

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
256962
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Moulder, M, A Shell Guide to Shropshire, (1972)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 76

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/08706/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Joan Gilbert. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].