Pradoe including attached service ranges and outbuildings


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Pradoe including attached service ranges and outbuildings


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054637.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2021 at 14:35:09.


Statutory Address:
Pradoe including attached service ranges and outbuildings

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 35842 24848


SJ 32 SE 8/123

RUYTON-XI-TOWNS CP Pradoe including attached service ranges and outbuildings

(formerly listed as Pradoe)


GV II* Small country house. 1785 by John Dovaston for Revd. Pritchard, extended 1810-11 and 1812 by John Carline for Thomas Kenyon; further alterations by John Hiram Haycock in 1816; later additions and alterations. Red brick; hipped slate roof with central open well.

Three storeys with moulded stone eaves cornice continued as dentilled brick eaves cornice to right return and chamfered brick plinth; cellar. Five window front, glazing bar sashes with gauged heads except for centre windows on first and second floors, which have shouldered and eared architraves with rosette emblems to corners and to cill brackets to first-floor window.

Central entrance; mid-C19 half-glazed double doors with stained glass to borders. Two windows to left infilled. Single-storey hip-roofed addition to right by Carline has two tall 15-paned glazing bar sashes with plain stone wedge lintels. Left return has full-height canted bay to centre; glazing bar sashes with gauged heads and French window to centre of canted bay also with gauged head. Single-storey addition to left, also by Carline, has low-pitched hipped roof concealed by moulded stone eaves cornice and three tall fifteen-paned glazing bar sashes with plain stone wedge lintels.

Main range has ridge, valley, integral and end stacks, mainly with tops rebuilt in mid C19 yellow brick. Late C18 and C19 service ranges to rear. Mixed red brick and sandstone block construction; slate roofs, some hipped. Two storeys with toothed eaves cornices. Mainly glazing bar sashes but some C19 casements; ridge and end stacks.

Single-storey sandstone block projection to rear on left with hipped graded slate roof and toothed eaves cornice houses game larder. Two-light stone mullion window lighting cellar to rear of right return of main block may be part of an earlier house.

Interior: Open-well stone staircase in central hall by John Carline (1803-5): decorated cast-iron balusters, open string and inlaid wreathed and ramped handrail. Two sandstone fluted Doric columns with antae in former dining room (now library) also probably by Carline. This room has inset C19 bookcases with canvas maps which can be rolled down in front of them. Concealed door leads through to dining room extension. Drawing room extension has monument to Henry, son of Thomas Kenyon by Thomas Carline, plaster copy of which is in Pradoe Church (qv). C18 cast-iron fireplaces, plaster cornices (some with egg and dart or other moulding), panelled doors (some with decorated surrounds) and panelled window shutters throughout.

Service ranges retain an unusually large amount of late C18 and C19 features and furnishings: bread ovens, cast-iron sinks and cooking ranges, larders, shelves etc. Two former kitchens including one to basement. Game larder has slate shelves and sink. Sandstone-walled cellars.

Set in a fine parkland landscape. The building history of the house and its associated estate buildings is exceptionally well documented.

(Colvin (1978), pp. 187, 408; information from owner, Col. Kenyon (November 1986).

Listing NGR: SJ3583924844


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 187
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01589/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Myk Briggs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].