Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055174
Date first listed: 18-Mar-1986
Statutory Address: WINNINGTON HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055174 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2019 at 17:05:15.
Statutory Address: WINNINGTON HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SJ 31148 10413
SJ 31 SW WOLLASTON C.P. -
4/147 Winnington Hall -
Shown on O.S. map as Upper Winnington. Farmhouse. Probably early C17 with C18 alterations and thorough C19 remodelling dated 1849. Red brick incorporating timber framed core; slate roof. H-plan; 3-bay hall range aligned approximately north- east/south-west with projecting gabled cross-wings (south-west wing flush at rear). 2-storey hall range with 2-storey and attic cross- wings. North-west front: deep eaves to central range, and dentil brick eaves cornices and verges to cross-wings; brick ridge stacks off centre to left and right and lateral brick stack to right-hand cross- wing. 1:3:1 window front; 2-and 3-light segmental-headed wooden casements; roughly central 6-panelled door (lower 2 panels flush and top panels glazed) and gabled brick porch with depressed chamfered arch and datestone. 2-window left-hand return front with inserted C20 garage door to left. Interior: ground-floor room in cross-wing to right has ceiling with chamfered cross-beams and chamfered joists with run-out stops, and timber framed square-panelled wall with blocked chamfered ogee-arched doorrway; other rooms have chamfered beams with ogee stops; 2 large open fireplaces in kitchen; C17 dog- leg staircase with landings in right-hand cross-wing: rising to attic with panelled closed string, pierced splat balusters, moulded handrail, and square newel posts with incised fleur-de-lys decoration and large finials with pyramidal decoration (C20 treads and risers); probably re-set or introduced C17 staircase rising from the first floor to attic in left-hand cross-wing: landing balustrade has rectangular section shaped balusters (some replaced) with pyramidal decoration, and square top newel post with incised fleur-de-lys decoration and large finial with pyramidal and raised heart decoration; panelled and boarded doors with L-shaped hinges. Some of the frame-posts appear to survive, encased within later alterations. C19 roofs throughout, centre range with machine-sawn king-post trusses. There is known to have been a house on this site since at least 1543 when it was occupied by the Williams family but it does not seem to have been known as Winnington Hall until c.1614. A circular brick dovecote was built to the north- west of the house shortly before 1765 but it was demolished some time after 1914. V.C.H. Vol. VIII, pp. 194-5.
Listing NGR: SJ3114810413
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 259054
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 194-5
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing