THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055253
Date first listed:
24-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055253 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 16:57:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Harley
National Grid Reference:
SJ5955301465

Details

SJ 50 SE 4/54

HARLEY C.P. HARLEY The Old Rectory

GV II

Rectory, now house. C14 or C15, extensively re-modelled late C16 with further additions of c.1820 and later. Timber framed with plaster infill and plain tile roofs to earlier part, red brick and slate hipped roof to c.1820 addition. Original plan an open hall of 2 framed bays to which a 2-bay range at right-angles to south (with a projecting full-height porch in angle between) was added in late C16; late C18 two-storey range parallel to rear with a 2-bay range added to north c.1820. Two storeys and attics; framing: east gable of medieval range has close studding with a long curving tension brace and moulded bressumer; C16 part is also close-studded on ground floor to front and rear with middle rail and long straight tension braces, moulded bressumer to first floor, above which are 4 square panels to wall- plate, again with long straight tension braces; attics to porch and south gable jettied with carved corner brackets [south gable end rough- cast to first floor and attic at time of re-survey (1985)]; Irregular fenestration, glazing bar sash on each floor to left of porch, which has a late C20 casement on ground floor, fixed-light window above and sliding sash to attic, late C20 casements to first floor and attic of hall range with fixed-light windows flanking contemporary door (blocked entrance in right side of porch). Circa 1820 two-bay addition has glazing bar sashes, blind and painted in imitation to upper right; prominent integral red brick stack to back wall of C16 part with cross-shaped shaft re-built in late C19 brown brick. Interior: cross-beamed ceiling with deep moulding to ground-floor back room of hall range, chamfered ceiling beams in other rooms with straight-cut chamfer stops; nail-studded plank and muntin doors on ground floor and several early C19 cast-iron grates including one of hour-glass shape; double-purlin roofs with straight windbraces, cambered tie and collar beams and jowled wall posts to hall range. V.C.H., VIII (1968), p.86.

Listing NGR: SJ5955301465

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
258837
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1968), 86

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09209/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].