REMAINS OF CHURCH OF ST MARY APPROXIMATELY 215 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF THE FLAGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055415
Date first listed:
28-Oct-1960
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Oct-1986
Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF CHURCH OF ST MARY APPROXIMATELY 215 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF THE FLAGS, BROUGHTON BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF CHURCH OF ST MARY APPROXIMATELY 215 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF THE FLAGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055415 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 03:32:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF CHURCH OF ST MARY APPROXIMATELY 215 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF THE FLAGS, BROUGHTON BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Myddle and Broughton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 50116 23959

Details

SJ 5023-5123 BROUGHTON C.P. BROUGHTON BANK, SJ 50112 23960 Yorton (north side)

16/5 Remains of Church - of Saint Mary approx. 215 metres to north- 28.10.60 west of The Flags (formerly listed as Ruins of old Church of Saint Mary, including remains of cross)

GV II

Parish church, remains of. Late C12, partly demolished and ruined after 1858. Roughly dressed yellow/grey and red sandstone. Remains of chancel, approximately 10 x 7 metres and standing up to approximately one metre high. Cranage and Pevsner describe a number of windows, doors and other architectural features, but none were evident in the ivy-clad ruins at the time of survey (December 1985). The old church was replaced by a new building on Church Road to the south (q.v.) in 1858. It formerly consisted of a nave, chancel, porch and bellcote and is said to have had a C12 chancel arch. It was formerly a chapelry of the church of St. Chad, Shrewsbury. In the new church of St. Mary (q.v.) there is a watercolour of the old church and churchyard before 1858, and there is also an oil painting of the ruins. The remains of a churchyard cross (q.v.) and a number of chest tombs stand to the south of the ruins. Photographs in the Shropshire Libraries Collection show the north and east chancel walls still standing high with 2 small east windows, chamfered north doorway, chamfered trefoiled piscina and south-east buttress. The Flags is not included on this list. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural account of the churches of Shropshire, Shrewsbury churches, pp. 852-3; B.O.E., p.87; Kelly and Co., Post Office Directory of Shropshire (1856), p.25; Shropshire Libraries, photographs collection.

Listing NGR: SJ5011623959

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
259998
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 852-3
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 87
'Post Office Directory' in Post Office Directory of Shropshire, (1856), 25

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11434/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].