Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055423.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 16:47:31.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 52042 23486



17/23 Church of All Saints 28.10.85


Parish church. 1839-40, by John Carline junior. (1792-1862). Red Grinshill sandstone ashlar with slate roof. 6-bay nave and chancel in one with small west tower. Neo-Norman. Chamfered plinth, pilaster strips dividing bays, projecting corbel table with shaped corbels, and high coped parapeted gable ends with carved grotesques at feet and cross on apex to east. Round-arches south windows with cill string, yellow sandstone nook shafts with moulded bases and bell capitals, impost blocks and returned hoodmoulds. South doorway in second bay from west with moulded round arch, 2 orders of shafts with moulded bases and cushion capitals, returned hoodmould, and slightly projecting gable above with weathering and pair of small flanking moulded round-arched recesses; pair of boarded doors with strap hinges. North side with simply moulded windows only. East end with flanking pilaster buttresses and stepped triple chamfered lancets with chamfered cill. West end with tall round- arched window to left. West tower: rectangular plan. Two stages with set-back to belfry, corbelled plain parapet, and weathervane. Louvred round-arched belfry openings, 2-light on long sides with quatrefoil plate tracery and central shaft with moulded base and cushion capital. Ground-floor chamfered rectangular window to west. Clock below belfry opening to south. C20 lean-to vestry in angle of tower and nave to north. Interior: collar and tie-beam roof trusses with queen posts. Doors in round arch at base of tower, giving access to clock mechanism and to belfry. Early C19 raised and fielded wainscot panelling. Other fittings mainly late C19 including Gothic reredos, wrought iron altar rails, chancel screen carved by 6 parishioners and presented in 1898 in commemoration of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, pulpit carved and given by Mrs Elizabeth Wright in 1900, pews with carved traceried panels, font given in 1889 with marble stem and circular bowl with trefoil panels, and organ with painted pipes. Late C19 stained glass in east window and some fragments of possibly C18 painted glass in south windows; mainly plain diamond-leaded glass. A few early C19 memorial tablets. Grinshill was a chapelry of Shawbury in 1130 and was an independent church by the C17. It has been suggested (Cranage) that some C17 or C18 remains survive at the base of the tower. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Shrewsbury Churches, p. 856; B.o.E, p. 134; Colvin, p. 188.

Listing NGR: SJ5204223486


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 188
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 856
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 134


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09335/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].