Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055988.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2021 at 10:06:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Whitchurch Urban
National Grid Reference:


SJ 5441 8/99 1.5.51

WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. HIGH STREET (south-west side) Nos. 36 and 38 (formerly listed as Express Cafe)


House, latterly cafe, now shop. Dated 1677 at rear, remodelled in the late C18. Rendered, probably over brick, with brick addition to rear. Probably incorporating timber framing. Plain tile roof, hipped to right. 3 storeys over basement. Moulded stone string course between first and second floors, moulded cornice, and parapet with moulded coping. Integral brick end stack to left (top rebuilt c.1900) on dressed grey sandstone base. 2 bays; tripartite glazing bar sashes with stone cills and slightly- segmental heads. Shop-front of c.1900 with pair of plate-glass windows, central recessed pair of half-glazed doors with engraved glass, flanking panelled pilasters, and deep fascia. Wrought-iron sign bracket between second-floor windows. C18 three-storey addition at rear with plat band. Interior: ground-floor remodelled c.1900 with Fulgoni's Cafe on ground floor and first floor to front. Ovolo-moulded beams with ogee stops to first- and second-floor rooms. Elaborate oak L-plan staircase of c.1677 with half landings, angled balustrades to full landings, pulvinated closed string, rectangular-section balusters, grip handrail, and square newel posts with bulbous finials and pendants. Flight from ground floor removed during c.1900 remodelling and attic flight altered at some time to turn 90° in opposite direction. First-floor front room: fireplace of c.1690-1700 to right with bolection-moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice. Probably c.1900 Seventeenth-Century style carved wooden fireplace to left with figures, pilasters, frieze with guilloche ornament, and carved cornice. Room formerly 2 but now divided by folding screen of c.1900. Dado rail. Half-glazed café door of c.1900. C19 cast-iron grate to first floor. Ground-floor top-lit rear room of c.1900 with husk swags in frieze. Basement with pair of C17 ovolo-moulded beams. Although the facade of the range has been altered, probably in the late C18 (windows etc.), the heavy moulded string course and cornice probably date from the C17, suggesting that the building has always been of brick construction, perhaps with timber-framed internal walls only. The datestone, recorded elsewhere (Town Trail etc.), was not noted at time of survey (November 1986).B.O.E., p. 314; Whitchurch Area Archaeological group, Whitchurch Rembered, ill. 21; Whitchurch Town Trail.

Listing NGR: SJ5413441581


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Whitchurch Remembered, (1979)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 314


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03398/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Cooke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].