This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1056356



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Abbas and Templecombe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Feb-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 261743

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



9/8 Manor House (Formerly known as Manor Farm House)



House. C17 and later on medieval site. Local stone coursed rubble with ashlar dressings; shallow pitch hipped Welsh slate roof; brick chinney stacks. 'L'-plant 2 storeys, 4 bays to West facade, irregular fenestration. Ovolo mould mullioned window to upper bays 2,3 and 4, and below to bay 4 and between bays 2 and 3; that to lower bay 4 has hood mould; reserved chamfer mullioned windows of 2-lights to bay 1: between bays 3 and 4 a studded boarded door in heavy frame, with C20 stone porch under flat moulded hood. Projecting stair turret on East side, with plain doorway and various ovolo mould mullioned windows. Short return Southwards to match, then a long non-domestic wing which may incorporate medieval fragments, although windows are mostly modern; one ovolo mould window and a moulded door surround may be reused. Interior not seen, but a comprehensive report speaks of traces of a spiral staircase in the North West corner of the main house; a fairly rare reserve chamfer moulded fireplace (possibly reset) in the South West corner, with 4-centre arched stone lintol; rear staircase may be C17, sundry beans with various mouldings and a variety of doors and door frames; and to the rear extension probably C17 collar roof trusses. Site held as a preceptory by the Knights Templars until 1300, from then until 1540 it was owned by the Knights Hospitallers; after that various lay owners modified it, especially Charles Brooke before he died in 1610. The remains of a chapel of c1200 survived until c1980 just East of the return wing (VAG Report, SRO unpublished, July 1983; D.M. Clarke-Irons, A Short Record of Abbas and Templecombe, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST7091922094

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Clarke Irons, D M , A Short Record of Abbas and Templecombe, (1974)
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in July, (1983)

National Grid Reference: ST 70919 22094


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056356 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 07:29:16.

End of official listing