This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1056879

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: North Perrott

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262429

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST40NE NORTH PERROTT CP CHURCH LANE (North side)

6/193 Church of St Martin

19.4.61 I GV

Anglican parish church. C12, modified in C16, with some early C20 restoration. Ham stone roughly cut and squared, ashlar dressings; stone slate roofs to chancel and west porch, otherwise sheet lead behind parapets. Cruciform plan with tower over crossing, with west porch and north-east organ chamber with vestry, the chancel of 2 bays and nave 2 bays. Chancel has plinth, angled corner buttresses, stepped coped gable with finial. East window a 4-light C16, with 4-centre arched head set in hollowed arched recess having square-stop label. To south are two 2-light windows, both with C15 style tracery, the west plain, with uncusped tracery and simple label, the east fully cusped with a square-stop label, both with C19 external ferramenta. Simple narrow cambered-arched doorway between south windows. One simple window on north side. Organ chamber vestry may be a C15 chapel: string course with corner gargoyle, plain parapet; 2-light cusped traceried east window under square-stop label; small flat-headed 2-light on north side, over a later C19 flat-roofed lobby, which has plain parapet, cambered-arched east door, 2-light north window and single-light west window. On north-west corner of organ chamber/vestry a projecting wall tomb, with stepped hipped stone roof and segmental-arched recess over chest. Transepts have plinths, angled corner buttresses, string courses and shallow plain parapets, and rather wide 4-light sub-arcuated windows with uncusped tracery, in pointed segmental-arched hollowed recesses under square-stop labels, possibly C17. Nave matches transepts, with one matching 4-light window in both north and south walls. In angle between nave and south transept an octagonal-plan stair turret, taller than the parapets, with simple doorway and slit windows. West window set over porch, a 5-light in triangular-arched recess wave moulded, has uncusped tracery: small cambered-arched recess to south of porch. West porch probably C16, with angled corner buttresses, shallow pitched roof with coped gable and cross finial; triangular-moulded outer archway, with wrought-iron gates; chamfered 4-centred inner arch, with bench seats to side and elliptical stone vault. Tower of 2 stages above roofline, with string courses, the upper with corner gargoyles, and shallow plain parapet. Clockface on south side across middle string. To each face of second stage are 2-light C15 windows in flat-arched chamfered recesses without labels, having decorative pierced stone baffles. Interior has strong C15 character: Chancel has C19 timber rib and plaster panel vault ceiling. Panelled reredos with C17 Spanish side pieces and centre panel by the younger Westmacott. Trefoil-arched piscina in south wall. C19 panelled arch into organ chamber. Crossing has four panelled arches with central shafts, of rural detail, with side squints from transepts to chancel. North transept has C19 king-post ceiling in C15 style, and C19 panelled arch to organ chamber. South transept has simple ridge beam and panels of C20 date. Nave ceiling of 5 bays, C20 moulded tie beams with plain plastered panels, set on carved head corbels, some of which may be medieval, Fittings all late C19/early C20, simply detailed. Lectern and pulpit good quality reproductions of a medieval style. Simple hexagonal font of uncertain date. Several early C19 monuments to Hoskins family (later spelt Hoskyns) of North Perrott Manor (qv). First recorded rector 1297. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).



Listing NGR: ST4720609530

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 47207 09529

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056879 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 07:55:18.

End of official listing