This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ABBEY FARMHOUSE AND FARM GATE AND STILE TO NORTH WEST CORNER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ABBEY FARMHOUSE AND FARM GATE AND STILE TO NORTH WEST CORNER

List entry Number: 1057256

Location

ABBEY FARMHOUSE AND FARM GATE AND STILE TO NORTH WEST CORNER, ABBEY FARM LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Montacute

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Oct-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263546

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4916 MONTACUTE CP ABBEY FARM LANE (South end) 8/91 Abbey Farmhouse (previously listed as Priory Gatehouse), and farm gate and stile to north-west corner 19.4.61 GV I Detached house, incorporating the gateway of the medieval priory. C16, C17 and C19. Ham stone ashlar; stone slate roofs behind castellated parapets with coped gables; stone slab chimney stacks. South elevation 2 storeys, 7 bays, with a 2-storey 2-bay C19 addition to west. Plinth, eaves course, parapets, angled corner and bay buttresses; bay 1 has 3-light hollow-chamfered mullioned windows, no labels; bays 2/4 represent the gateway, bay 2 being an octagonal stair turret with entrance door and three 2-light mullioned 4- centre arched light flat headed window under labels to south-east face, the turret being taller than surrounding work; bay 4 is similar but lower, with 2 matching windows and doorway in south face; between then the tall 4-centre arched gateway with 3 jamb shafts, and above a 1+4+1 light oriel window with 4-centre arched lights, moulded corbel, battlements being angled to the bay, with a device on the central merlon featuring a bishop's mitre and a block sundial over; above and below the oriel are bands of quatrefoil panelling: bays 5, 6 and 7 have hollow chamfered mullioned and transomed windows, 3-light below and 2-light above, all with labels; bay 6 is wider, with a moulded 4-centre arched doorway to the left having incised spandrils and square-stopped label; the merlons to bays 5, 6 and 7 have a variety of carved panels. The extension to the west is set lower, with double Roman clay tiled roof, and 2-light mullioned windows. The east elevation is plain - the chimneys have been removed from a projecting stack here. The north elevation is plainer, with plinth, end buttresses only, eaves course, battlemented parapets: bays 1, 2 and 3 have 2-light mullioned and transomed windows above; to lower bay 2, off-centre, a 2-light chamfer-mullioned window, and to lower bay 3 an ovolo-mould mullioned window, these both with labels; between bays 1/2 and right of bay 3 projections for chimney stacks, the former with offsets, the chimneys probably C20: the main gateway matches the south side except for the absence of stair turrets, with a full-height buttress to the left and a lean-to projection to the right, possibly for another stair, with stepped stone roof and 2 small windows: upper bay 7 has a 2-light mullioned window without label. The western extension has a mullioned window to upper bay 1 and steel windows to bay 2, with a lean-to single-storey building across the front, with a C19 Gothic style door; projection with stepped gable at west end, against which is a farm gateway with single stone gateposts and a step-over stile to north. The interior not seen. The gateway bears the initials T.C., for Thomas Chard, prior 1514-32, and was thus one of the last buildings of this Cluniac house before the Dissolution. In 1539 the property was leased as a farmhouse, being part of the landholding of the Phelips family of Montacute House: it was 'almost desolate' by 1633; some years later it became a residence, but by 1782 it was a revitalised farm, retaining part of the Phelips estate until 1918. (Country Life, 19th June 1915, p874: VCH vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4959016889

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)
'Country Life' in 19 June, (1915), 874

National Grid Reference: ST 49579 16901, ST 49594 16890

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057256 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 11:20:39.

End of official listing