This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1057286

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ash

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263409

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Church of The Holy Trinity, Main Street. 11/24 3/24

------------------------------------

Church of The Holy Trinity, Main Street. 11/24 3/24

------------------------------------ ST4720 ASH CP MAIN STREET (South side)

11/24 Church of the Holy Trinity

-

GV II

Anglican Parish Church. 1841 by Sampson Kempthorne, chancel added 1887, tower added 1919. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofed between coped gables. Two-cell plan of 3-bay chancel and 5-bay nave, with south-east lean-to vestry and west tower. Chancel simple, with plinth, angled corner buttresses, with triple-lancet east window having separate labels and continued cill string; pointed arched north doorway; vestry on south side has pointed-arched east door and 2 lancets without labels in south wall. Nave very simple, with chamfered plinth, single lancet windows without labels. Tower in 3 stages; pecked stone band courses, plain chamfer-corbelled parapet with corner pinnacles and 3 pointed stones each face; chamfered pointed arched west door in lowest stage; stage 2 has west lancet with label, and door in south side approached by reinforced concrete stair with iron pipe handrail; to third stage pointed arched windows with labels, with timber inserts of Y-tracery and decorative pierced baffles. Inside, plain arch-braced collar truss roof to chancel and queen post trusses to nave: chancel unplastered ashlar; segmental labels with flowerstops to doors, wide C13 style chancel arch: nave walls plastered, flush-panel timber dado. Fittings include fine reredos, and octagonal font, C15 style, presented in 1891, possibly replacing that outside by chancel door. (Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).



Listing NGR: ST4725820712

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 47258 20712

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057286 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 08:09:38.

End of official listing