This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

REPTON HALL WITH PRIOR OVERTONS TOWER, REPTON SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: REPTON HALL WITH PRIOR OVERTONS TOWER, REPTON SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1057669

Location

REPTON HALL WITH PRIOR OVERTONS TOWER, REPTON SCHOOL, WILLINGTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Repton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 82778

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF REPTON WILLINGTON ROAD SK 30/3127 SK 30/3126 6/95 (North Side) 2.9.52 Repton Hall with Prior Overton's Tower, Repton School GV I

Priors lodgings, converted and enlarged into a private house, now school. c1438, c1680, extended to east and raised in C19, extension to west 1884 by John Shaw of Derby. Coursed squared sandstone, ashlar and red brick. Plain tile roof, various C19 brick stacks. Three storeys. South elevation of nine plus four bays, and extensive red brick range of 1884 to west not of special interest. The nine bay part represents the late C17 house. Moulded cornice and first floor band. The ground floor has a doorway in the second bay from the left, with moulded architrave and segmental pediment. Raised and fielded panelled door. To the left a wooden cross window with keyed moulded stone surround. Similar window to right. To the right again a glazing bar sash in similar surround, a former doorway with glazing bar sash in similar surround, two similar glazing bar sashes and a glazing bar sash in a doorway with similar surround, and another glazing bar sash. Nine wooden cross windows above in keyed eared moulded architraves. The four bays to the right are C19 with glazing bar sashes under plain lintels. Late C19 tile hung top floor with eight gabled dormers. Pair of gate piers attached to south after third bay from left. Square in plan with pilaster strips on the inner faces with inverted brackets. Moulded caps. The north elevation has casements, wooden cross windows and sashes of various dates, either side of Prior Overton's tower. Prior Overton's tower is all that remains of the Prior's new lodgings built some time soon after 1437. It is one of the most ornate pieces of early domestic brick architecture in England, the style more Hanseatic than English. Ashlar basement with buttresses with two set-offs. Rising from these are brick buttresses rising to two corbelled-out polygonal angle turrets, with one tier of small rectangular slit windows. Between are two giant blank cusped 2-light arches in two tiers, with two tiers of cross windows set in, the lower pair with the brick mullions of the blind arches. Roll moulding to the outer round-arched order. Parapet corbelled out on two tiers of billet moudling. Interior: Entrance hall has a pair of Doric columns, painted stone bolection moulded chimneypiece and massive moulded beams. Drawing room. Bolection moulded chimneypiece with moulded cornice, in Hopton Wood stone. Oak panelling and double cornice. Dining room. Painted panelling, bolection moulded Hopton Wood chimneypiece. The office (in Prior Overton's tower) . Four centred arched ashlar chimneypiece, fine C15 carved beams with ornamental bosses. Headmaster's Study. Re-used C17 panelling. staircase, closed string with heavy turned balusters. Staircase window with enamelled armorial glass of 1813 by William Eginton of Birmingham. Several upper rooms have remains of late C17 panelling.

Listing NGR: SK3031527254

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 30315 27254

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057669 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 07:40:28.

End of official listing