PARISH CHURCH OF WEST BRADLEY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1058795

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Oct-1985

Statutory Address: Parish Church of West Bradley, West Bradley, BA6 8LT

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF WEST BRADLEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058795 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 11:54:41.

Location

Statutory Address: Parish Church of West Bradley, West Bradley, BA6 8LT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip (District Authority)

Parish: West Bradley

National Grid Reference: ST 55786 36874

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/01/2016

ST53NE 7/198

WEST BRADLEY CP WEST BRADLEY VILLAGE, Parish Church of West Bradley

(Formerly listed as Church of St Andrew, previously listed as Parish Church)

2.6.61

GV II* Anglican Parish Church. Predominantly C14/C15, much C19 restoration, particularly the chancel. Coursed and squared lias rubble, slate and asbestos slate roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave, chancel with an organ loft to north, south porch, west tower; Perpendicular. Unbuttressed 2-stage tower, with a moulded string at its base; 2-light bell chamber windows, embattled parapet, pyramid roof with a cruciform finial; 2-light west window, west door, shallow stair turret to north side, single narrow window. Two bay nave, an ashlar parapet to the north and south sides with a moulded coping; 2-light traceried windows, some tracery renewed. Buttressed porch, elaborately moulded surround to the outer door opening, adjacent a plain stoup, paired C19 inner doors with surface tracery; blocked north doorway. Two bay chancel, much rebuilt with 2-light square headed windows, priest's door; shallow stair turret to a former rood loft on its north side, lancet with a foiled head. Plastered interior on flag stone and encaustic tile floor; walls scraped under tower which has a star-vault; nave with a king post and tie beam roof; unceiled wagon roof to chancel. Single shafted tower arch; typical Perpendicular moulding to the chancel arch. Norman tub font under tower; semi-circular headed piscina, adjacent a C13 moulded corbel; tablet to Danil Avery of 1530 in nave; further tablet of 1812 by T King to chancel. Plain C19 pews, choir stalls and pulpit

(Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5578636874

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 267672

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

End of official listing