This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST EDITH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST EDITH

List entry Number: 1061829

Location

CHURCH OF ST EDITH, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Anwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 192548

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ANWICK CHURCH LANE TF 15 SW (east side) 1/2 Church of St. Edith 1/2/67 G.V. I

Parish church: Late C13, C14, restored 1859, chancel restored 1900, spire repaired after lightning strike in 1906, south aisle restored 1915, nave re-roofed 1916. Limestone ashlar, some coursed rubble. Westmorland slate and lead roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch. Tower of 3 stages, chamfered plinth, gabled and crocketed set back buttresses, moulded string course with animal heads to broach spire. Spire has 3 tiers of lucarnes in alternating directions, cupsed reticulated tracery, human head stops and foliate terminals. In the belfry stage are 4 louvred 2 light bell openings with cusped reticulated tracery. On the south side is a single lancet with trefoil head, and to the west is a similar window. C14 north aisle with chamfered plinth, gabled buttresses, coped gables and a slate roof. To the west is a 2 light window with cusped reticulated tracery, ogee heads to the lights and a wave moulded pointed head. To the north are 3 smaller similar windows and a late C13 doorway with engaged shafted reveals, keeled moulded head and 2 orders of dogtoothing. In the east wall is a 3 light window matching the rest. The chancel has 2 tall C14 2 light windows, now with pointed and moulded heads of the 1900 restoration. To the east is a large 5 light window with restored curvilinear tracery with cusped mouchettes, a quatrefoil and trefoil heads to the lights. To the south is a narrow priest's door, moulded reveals and moulded pointed head, also a tall 2 light C14 window with quatrefoil to the head. The south aisle matches the north with 3 two light windows to the side and a 3 light window to the east. Gabled C14 south porch, gabled set back buttresses, filleted double shafted reveals, double wave moulded head. C14 south door withslender filleted double shafted reveals, annular capitals and richly moulded head, now minus its stops. Interior: 4 bay nave arcades, the late C13 north arcade with quatrefoil filleted shafts, hobnail annular capitals, chamfered and rolled arches with dogtoothing and human head stops. The south arcade has matching shafts but double wave moulded arches, hollow moulded hoods and human head stops. Above the north arcade is a worn wall painting of a seated human figure. The nave roof of 1916 has scalloped principals. C14 tower arch, filleted double shafted reveals, double wave moulded head. Above is the hacked back gable of an earlier nave roof. In the south aisle a pointed single chamfered doorway to the rood loft. Chancel was restored in 1900 and has a triple sedilia of that date with cusped headed compartments and beyond a contemporary piscina. The elevated altar has a marble reredos. Fittings: 1900 oak choir stalls and pulpit, C19 pitch pine pews. In the tower a fine painted royal arms of Queen Anne dated 1708. In the south aisle an impressive though damaged C14 limestone carving of the Virgin and Child, discovered in the blocking of the rood stair during the 1859 restoration; naturalistic drapery, fleurons to base, extensive traces of red, green and blue paint. Plain C14 octagonal font with double chamfered plinth to roll moulded octagonal stem. There are also 3 sections of early C12 octagonal shafts, one with a scalloped capital, perhaps from the belfry lights of an earlier tower. Monuments: in the chancel a limestone wall plaque to Elizabeth Everingham, d.1707, draped cartouche with cherub over and epitaph panel beneath. Also an illegible painted scrolled panel, dated 1745, with cherubs and roses. In the south aisle a wall plaque to Gerard Gardiner, d.1742, debased Corinthian columns supporting a segmental pediment with fluted keyblock, cherub and flaming urn.

Listing NGR: TF1144950647

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 11451 50634

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061829 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2018 at 12:37:23.

End of official listing