Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062991.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2021 at 21:05:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
Theddlethorpe All Saints
National Grid Reference:
TF 46366 88208


TF 48 NE THEDDLETHORPE LOUTH ROAD ALL SAINTS 2/43 Church of All Saints 9.3.67 I Parish church. C12, c.1380-1400, late C17, 1865-66 minor repairs. Squared greenstone rubble, coursed limestone rubble, limestone dressings, C17 brick patching, lead roofs. Western tower, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch, chancel. The 4 stage tower is of squared greenstone rubble with a substantial amount of brick patching, it has chamfered string courses, stepped corner buttresses, battlemented parapet with corner gargoyles and unusual lead covered central crocketted pinnacle. To the belfry stage are 3 light louvred openings with panelled tracery. On the south and west sides are small ogee headed lights to the third stage. The west door has a continuously moulded surround, hood and human head stops. Above is a 4 light window, cusped ogee heads, panel tracery and moulded surround. All windows are of a similar design. The north aisle has a battlemented parapet with large gargoyles and corbels, it has a 2 light west window, 4 three light side windows, a continuously moulded doorway and an east window of 3 lights. The clerestory with battlemented and pinnacled parapet and gargoyles has 5 two light windows. In the chancel north wall is a bricked up 3 light window. The chancel east window of 3 lights is in an original moulded surround with C19 tracery. In the south wall is a C19 2 light window, and an original one of 3 lights. Beneath is a continuously moulded priest's doorway. The east nave parapet has quatrefoil piercings and crockets. The south aisle east wall has a crocketed parapet and corner pinnacles. In the south wall which is partly limestone rubble are 2 windows of 3 lights and one of 4, the easterly pair having cambered heads. The west window is of 3 lights. The gabled south porch has a continuously moulded outer arch, side benches, and low pitched lead roof. The inner door is continuously moulded but with striking ogee head. The rear arch is rounded. Interior. North and south nave arcades are of 5 bays with octagonal piers and responds and double chamfered arches. In the north wall of the nave are incorporated many fragments of C12 chevron and beakhead voussoirs. The double chamfered tower arch is continuously moulded, with above the scar of an earlier nave roof. Concave moulded octagonal chancel arch. The restored nave roof incorporates the moulded principals of the original with coats of arms of the donors and fleurons, and is of arch braced queen post construction. Both aisle roofs match the nave and are substantially intact. In the east wall of the south aisle is a medieval altar slab with consecretaion crosses above which is a stone reredos. This consists of a moulded stone frame with quatrefoils, fleurons and human heads, cusped triangular top surmounted by a crocketed pinnacle flanked by lower pinnacles. Fragments of post medieval texts can be seen on the north wall of the north and south aisles. The north aisle has a further medieval altar stone, a statue bracket, and a door to the rood loft. In the chancel is a blocked window on the north side and on the south side is a triple sedilia supported on apparently reused C12 shafts, with beyond a piscina. In the east wall are 2 human head statue brackets. In the south aisle window are some fragments of C15 glass. Fittings. In the chancel fine early C18 turned altar rails, and a delicate marble altar table with turned legs presented to the church in 1717. The C15 chancel screen of 7 bays enriched with panelled tracery to the upper parts and in the bases of the bays. The upper part of the screen consists of an early C18 marbelled cornice. To either side are parclose screens of 1535, the upper parts of the panels have finely wrought pierced Renaissance carvings of coats of arms, grotesques and human heads. The pulpit and lectern are C19. The pews have C16 poppy head ends and the rear pews have contemporary brattished back rails and blank ogee tracery. At the rear of the church is a late C17 richly carved oak pulpit removed from Skidbrooke Church. The font is C15, octagonal with quatrefoils, fleurons and human heads, having C18 openwork wooden cover. On the west wall of the nave a section of lead from the roof bears 2 graffiti of 2 C18 Ships of the Line. At the west end is preserved the C15 wooden pinnacle from the tower roof. Monuments. In the south aisle chapel is a brass to Sir Robert Hayton who died 1424 showing the deceased in plate armour with feet resting on a lion. Nearby is the matrix for a double brass of which only one brass shield remains. In the chancel are 2 early C18 marble wall plaques to members of the Newcomen family with cartouches, arms and scrolls. A fine marble monument to Hon. Charles Bertie and his wife Mary d. 1727, with sarcophagus, obelisk and portrait busts beneath an open pediment supporting a cartouche of arms, made by Andrew Carpenter, London. Beyond is an early C19 monument in the Greek Taste.

Listing NGR: TF4636588207


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/14547/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].