CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063533 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 05:14:43.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Lindsey (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 35446 50744
TF 35 SE SIBSEY CHURCH STREET
8/37 Church of St. Margaret 3.2.67 G.V. I
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, 1699, restored 1840. Chancel rebuilt and aisles and nave partly rebuilt 1855 by Kirk, repaired 1880. Ashlar, some red brick patching. Lead and plain and fish scale tile roofs, some slate. Parapets with coped gables. Single ridge cross to the east chancel, east nave with finial. Stack to vestry. Tower, nave, south aisle, south porch, north aisle, north vestry and chancel. Tower, set on a moulded plinth, of 4 stages with angle buttresses to the lower 3 stages and clasping buttresses to the top stage. Embattled parapet with 2 gargoyles to each side. The west front has a single C14 arched 2 light window with reticulated tracery, hood mould and worn label stops. Over is a single cinquefoil arched niche. The south front has a pointed chamfered arched doorway and 3 small rectangular stair lights. At the second stage to west, north and south sides are single double chamfered C13 lancets with C19 hood mould and label stops. Single clock face over the west side. Each side of the third stage has a single large C13 round arched 2 light window with colonnettes with shaft rings and moulded capitals alternating with heavy nail head moulding to jambs and arches, plate tracery with single quatrefoil. Billet hood mould. At the fourth stage are 4 C15 4 centred arched openings each with 2 pointed segmental arched lights surmounted by 2 arched lights and tracery. Hood moulds and label stops. The north aisle is set on a chamfered and moulded plinth and has in the west wall a single C19 arched 3 light window with cusped tracery. The north wall has a single restored C15 arched 3 light window with cusped tracery, to the left is a single similar 2 light window. Further left is a C12 round arched doorway with crenellated moulding to the arch and single pair of colonnetes with worn scalloped capitals supporting roll moulding. Hood mould and worn dragon head label stops. On the far left are 2 similar restored 3 light C15 windows. In the clerestory are 5 arched 2 light C15 windows with cusped panel tracery and hood moulds. The chancel is set on a chamfered plinth. The north chancel has a single arched 2 light restored C14 window with reticulated tracery and single transom being blocked below, hood mould and human head label stops. To the left is the vestry set on a chamfered plinth with Caernarvon arched doorway to the north, the east wall with single window with 2 pointed arched lights. To the left in the chancel is a single heavily restored C15 arched 3 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. Continuous sill band extending around the east and most of the south chancel. East chancel has a single large arched 5 light C19 window with cusped tracery, hood mould and C14 label stops. The south chancel has 2 restored C15 arched 3 light windows with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. To the left is a double chamfered arched doorway with hood mould and human head label stops, and on the far left a single arched restored C14 window with reticulated tracery and single transom being blocked below, hood mould and human head label stops. The south aisle is set on a moulded plinth, the east wall has a single segmental arched 3 light C14 window with reticulated tracery and hood mould. Continuous stepped sill band which extends to the south wall which has 2 similar windows and hood moulds. To the left and breaking the band is the gabled porch dated 1617 with double chamfered and moulded arched entrance. Imposts and decorative keystone. Triangular hood mould continuing to east and west sides. Interior with 5 transverse ribs, the northernmost with inscription and date. Moulded pointed arched doorway. To the left and in the west wall are single similar 3 light C14 windows, sill band to south window only. The clerestory corresponds to the north. Interior. 5 bay nave arcades with single step arches. C12 circular piers and responds, heightened from 7 ft. in 1840, with square abaci and scalloped capitals. The south east and north west responds with leaf crockets. The bases with delicate roll moulding. Early C14 tower arch with 2 sunk wave mouldings supported on triple shafts with fillet. Hood mould and decorative label stops. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order supported on circular responds. To the south, in the nave, is a doorway formerly to rood loft. Chancel with C19 tripartite sedilia with trefoil arches. To the left is a single chamfered arched piscina. Double chamfered pointed arched vestry doorway. Probably C16 octagonal ashlar font. The base, decorated with stylised fleuron, is surmounted by 8 small piers which support the bowl decorated with intersecting tracery and stylised fleuron. South aisle with doorway to rood stairs. Door decorated with remains of C14 screen with blind cusped tracery. South wall with ogee arched piscina. West nave wall with evidence of former roof line. 2 C17 and 2 C18 floor slabs. It was from this church that Annie Bessant wife of the then rector fled to London where she became involved in the study of Eastern religions. She was later to become a major influence upon the thinking and spiritual development of Gandhi.
Listing NGR: TF3544050743
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing