- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- GUNBY HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063656 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 01:45:17.
- Statutory Address:
- GUNBY HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Lindsey (District Authority)
- Candlesby with Gunby
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 46718 66876
TF 46 NE GUNBY GUNBY PARK
5/21 Gunby Hall
Small country house, former seat of Massingberd and Langton families, now owned by the National Trust. 1700, altered c.1730, with extensions of 1873 and 1900 of Dining Room, Servants' Hall and Service Wing. Red brick in Flemish bond, ashlar dressings, flat lead roof, 6 brick wall stacks with moulded tops. 3 storey with basement having moulded plinth, 3 moulded stone bands, panelled brick parapet with moulded stone top. 7 bay front arranged 2:3:2, the central bays recessed, 4 bay sides, rusticated quoins. Central 6 panelled double doors, up flight of 9 stone steps, set in moulded and eared stone surround, with scrolled pediment supported on carved brackets. Beneath the cornice an inscribed datestone "Wm 1700". In the pediment a helmed coat of arms. To either side are 3 glazing bar sashes, some original c.1700 in plain moulded architraves with small keyblocks. To first and second floors are 7 similar windows. to the left is a 5 bay, slightly recessed and lower 2 storey extension with hipped slate roof behind parapet, built 1873 and 1900 in matching style, but with deeper qround floor windows. In the south side a Venetian window at first floor level of c.1730, 5 original blank openings, 2 upper windows and in the parapet 2 circular apertures. The 2 lead rainwater heads bear the date 1700 and initials"WEM". The rear has 7 bays of sashes with plain surrounds to each floor. The service basement has 2 light leaded casements with timber mullions. Interior. The doqleq staircase, of c.1700 appears to have been slightly moved forward when the Venetian window was inserted. It has 3 barley sugar twist balusters per tread, open string, panelled risers, moulded hand rail, bolection moulded dado panels. The stair hall has fully dentillated egg and dart cornice and early C18 panelled ceilinq. The Entrance Hall has 1700 raised and fielded full height panelling. In the Dining Room bolection moulded surround and panels. Other panelling and door surrounds date from early Cl9. The Music Room has c.1900 full height panelling. The house has associations with Tennyson and Cecil Sharpe. The Last resident owner was Field Marshal Sir Archibald Montgomery Massinqberd.
Listing NGR: TF4671866876
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 27 Lincolnshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.