CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1064433

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064433 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2019 at 13:38:24.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland (District Authority)

Parish: Pinchbeck

National Grid Reference: TF 24197 25594

Details

PINCHBECK CHURCH STREET TF 22 NW (east side) 7/77 Church of St. Mary 7.2.67 G.V. I Parish church. C12. C13, C14, C15, 1855, chancel rebuilt by Butterfield 1861. Ashlar, lead and Westmorland slate roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south porch, northchapel. Tall 3 stage C14 tower with stepped corner buttresses, quatrefoil plinth, embattled parapet, crocketed corner pinnacles. To belfry stage are tall 3 light transomed louvred perpendicular lights. On the south side a tall 3 light C15 window to first stage and a smaller 2 light window. On the west side the buttresses contain niches with crocketed nodding ogee canopies. The west doorway is C14 with angle shafts and 3 orders of filleted roll moulding with elaborately cusped trefoil head to door. The canopy is ogee pattern with crockets, leaves and human head label stops. Above a 4 light Perpendicular window and 2 light window as the south side. The north side matches the south. The north aisle has an embattled parapet and contains 5 large 3 light Perpendicular windows, 4 to the south side and one to the west, with ogee heads to the lights, subdivided by stepped buttresses. Also a C15 4 centred arched doorway with trefoil headed panels to the reveals. Contemporary door with cusped Y tracery and crocketed finials, ogee headed wicket. The clerestory is embattled with shields in quatrefoil panels and has 5 pairs of 3 light Perpendicular windows. The north chapel contains a blocked large 4 light window in 4 centred arched surround now with C19 tracery. Beyond a 3 light C14 window, a C19 pointed doorway with above a blocked window. In the east end a broad 5 light late C14 window in the north chapel with pointed head, and in the chancel a C19 5 light window with Geometric tracery. On the south side a 2 light C14 window with flowing tracery, an early C14 doorway with double chamfered surround and a 2 light C19 window. In the east end of the nave a C13 mandorla in chamfered surround and steep earlier nave roof pitch. The south aisle is battlemented and contains 3 light panel traceried windows with moulded surrounds, mullions and cusped ogee heads to the lights, one to each end and 4 to the south side. Gabled C14 south porch with triangular headed moulded outer arch and C19 wrought iron double gates. Side benches. Originally vaulted with a fan vault, the springers of which remain. The C14 inner doorway has cusped ogee head with 3 orders of moulding and fleurons. The canopy has crockets, fleurons and floriated knops. Interior. Tall 5 bay C13 nave arcades, alternating round and octagonal piers with some reused C12 work, matching capitals and hobnail decoration. The easternmost piers are more elaborate with angle shafts. The arches are rolled and filleted with quirks and have dogtoothed hoods. The nave roof is C15 with arched tie beams with fleurons and brattishing, pierced cusped spandrels and queen posts supporting the moulded principals. Contemporary arms bearing angel supporters on the half bays. The C15 north aisle roof is similar. Tall continuously wave moulded tower arch with octagonal capitals. Tower has springing for a vanished vault. C13 double chamfered arch with octagonal responds and imposts. At the east end of the nave an ogee headed doorway to the rood loft. At the east end of the north aisle a broad continuously moulded arch leads to the north chapel. In the chancel a 3 bay arcade to the north chapel with quatrefoil piers and double chamfered pointed arches. In the south wall a C19 sedilia with tall pointed arches. In the east window of the north chapel and in the north aisle some C15 grisaille and stained glass remains in the upper panels. The east window stained glass is dated 1855 by O'Connor, the west window of 1861 by the same artist. Fittings. North aisle a much restored and painted C15 screen. C14 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels containing shieldsand crosses to the sides of the bowl and buttressed stem with quatrefoils and fleurons. Also an early C19 hud. Monuments. In the south aisle a tomb in the form of an altar with Purbeck marble ledger slab, panelled sides with crocketed ogee pinnacles and armorial shields. In the north chapel a wall plaque to Williame Wilde 1656, alabaster, with scrolled brackets, swagged base with escutcheon, pilasters, slate inscription panel. Above is an armorial escutcheon. Also in the north chapel a handsome chest tomb of 1708 to William Smithson, MD with raised and fielded inscription panel, gadrooned angle pilasters and facetted peaked top.

Listing NGR: TF2419925595

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 198191

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing