CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1064482
Date first listed:
07-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, BARRIER BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064482 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 02:04:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, BARRIER BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Holland (District Authority)
Parish:
Cowbit
National Grid Reference:
TF 25979 18009

Details

COWBIT BARRIER BANK TF 21 NE (east side) 13/2 Church of St. Mary 7.2.67 I Parish church. c.1380, tower built and nave extended 1480-86, restored 1882. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar, red brick with ashlar dressings, lead roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel, south porch. C15 ashlar 3 stage tower with quatrefoil plinth, moulded string courses, battlemented parapet. Stepped corner buttresses. To belfry stage 2 light C14 openings with ogee heads to the lights and quatrefoils over. On the west side a deeply moulded pointed doorway, with cusped spandrels. Above a wide 5 light C15 window with 4 centred arched head, cusped ogee heads to the lights and panel tracery. To the second stage a niche with nodding ogee hood and later seated figure of the Virgin and child. In the north side on ogee headed rectangular light. The brick nave has stepped stone buttresses, ashlar plinth, chamfered string course and C19 moulded cornice. Continuously moulded pointed doorway with above a curious corbel carving in stone with crouched figure. 3 light window with C19 head and 3 light C15 window with 4 centred arch head. In the north side of the chancel, a blocked pointed brick arch. The chancel is in coursed limestone rubble and has a C15 3 light window with cusped heads to the lights and panel tracery. C15 3 light east window with panel tracery and ogee heads to the lights, recut C19. On the south side a 3 light window matches that to the north, a small blocked priests' doorway and blocked window opening. On the south side of the nave 2 three light C15 windows with shallow 4 centred arched heads. C20 chimney and boiler room. Gabled brick porch with double chamfered outer arch leading to stone bases, flanked by single buttresses. Porch has large stones used in the side walls. Beyond a further 2 light window with cusped heads to the lights. Interior. Tall C15 continuously moulded 4 centred headed tower arch with octagonal reveals, sexpartite tower vault with bell hole. Moulded string course runs round both sides of nave. 4 centred chancel arch with 2 orders of mouldings. Triangular headed piscina in south wall of nave. Small C15 blocked doorway in north side of chancel. Blocked opening to south side. Ogee trefoil headed piscina in south side of chancel. C15 corbels in chancel. 3 statue brackets to reveal of south east nave window. C19 stained glass. Fittings. Royal Coat of Arms 1713. Unusual tall octagonal font with splayed bowl and traceried stem.

Listing NGR: TF2661017964

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
198118
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12457/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].