JOHN KEBLE CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1064756
Date first listed:
18-May-1989
Statutory Address:
JOHN KEBLE CHURCH, CHURCH CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of JOHN KEBLE CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064756.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 08:10:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
JOHN KEBLE CHURCH, CHURCH CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Barnet (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 20445 92094

Details

The following building shall be added:

TQ 29 SW CHURCH CLOSE

5/34 John Keble Church

II

Church. 1936, by D F Martin Smith. Concrete frame clad in stock brick; flat concrete roofs. Nave and sanctuary in main body of church with projecting ranges housing north and south aisles, west tower, and similar ranges surrounding sanctuary which house vestry, offices and Lady Chapel. Modern Movement style. 3-light east window with concrete lintel over raised brick architrave and square brick mullions framing metal casements; similar 2-light windows to sides of one-bay sanctuary and to 3-bay nave aisles. Porches in west angles of nave and aisles each have panelled double doors. Plain concrete coping to sanctuary and aisles and splayed cornice to main taller body of nave. West tower has small 2-light windows set in raised concrete architraves; west elevation has similar 3-light window above panel, inscribed with phoenix and the name JOHN KEBLE,which is splayed inwards above recessed bay with grid-like 20-light concrete- framed window; flat hood above panelled double doors; louvred belfry surmounted by mosaic copper cross and ball covered in gold leaf. Interior: white plastered walls; sanctuary floor of cream-coloured artificial stone; fine blue and gold mosaic panel with central dove to sanctuary ceiling; tall wrought-iron candelabra; triple sedilia and two pulpits. Circular oak font with projecting wrought-iron candelabra; west porch (beneath tower) is partitioned off by refined 'stripped Perpendicular' screen with mullioned upper stage above panelled lower stage; stairs to gallery above porch. Nave exhibits the first use in this country of the 'Diagrid' roofing system whereby the octagonal concrete roof is filled in by diagonally-intersecting beams with coloured ceiling boards to infill panels; this saved 40% on normal construction costs. Its good design and cheap cost made John Keble Church a very influential design: in 1951, Knopp-Fisher's The Future of Church Design held it as a sensible prototype for post-war church architecture. (Incorporated Church Building Society, Fifty Modern Churches, 1947, pp 34-7; Architecture Illustrated, November 1936, pp 179-181).

Listing NGR: TQ2044592094

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
199240
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fisher, K, The Future of Church Design, (1951)
Incorporated Church Building Society, , Fifty Modern Churches, (1947), 34-7
'Architecture Illustrated' in November, (1936), 179-181

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Dec 2006
Reference: IOE01/16193/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].