Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1067948

Date first listed: 24-Sep-1990



Ordnance survey map of CAVENDISH MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067948 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 10:28:57.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Tameside (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 93640 98581


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The following building shall be added:


4/101 Cavendish Mill

G.V. II*

Cotton spinning mill (empty at time of inspection, July 1990). 1884-5, built for the Cavendish Spinning Co Ltd. Architects: Potts, Pickup and Dixon of Oldham. Main: contractors: Storrs, Son and Co Ltd. Brick; steel girders rest on steel (or possibly iron) window lintels with concrete floors and flat roof. Because the mill is built on an awkward site it has an unusual plan. Main block (6 storeys to Ashton Canal, S; 5 storeys to Bank Street, N) has a short extension to NE (forming an L-shaped plan overall) incorporating the engine house which occupies most of the lower 2 floors; attached to the SE face of the mill is an octagonal stair turret wrapped around the stack; a 2-storeyed office block extends further to the SE. The offices and stack, and the engine-house range are corrected by the boiler house and form 3 sides of a small entrance courtyard (facing Cavendish Street). Carding sheds to N with perimeter wall. Main mill block 14 x 9 window bays; large 9-pane windows under blue brick lintel bands (concealing iron or steel girder pads); continuous projecting sill bands. Ground floor windows under elliptical arches. One loading bay towards canal. Simple parapets. End bays emphasised by projecting slightly. Engine house distinguished by tall round-headed windows (some with simple tracery). Polygonal stair turret with large windows to each facet, the 7th stage marked by paired round-headed windows to each facet under a parapet with lombardic frieze. Topmost courses of stack removed. Office block windows with curious stone lintels. Irregular N elevation. Entrance with stone capped piers and massive iron vehicle- guards. Interior not inspected. Circular section iron columns with shaped brackets support steel girders.

Note: The form of construction used here (ie concrete floors, rather than brick arched floors) on steel. girders and lintel plates was pioneered by Edward Potts. He applied (unsuccessfully) to have the method patented in 1884. As well as being the earliest such structure in Ashton, it is one of the earliest in Greater Manchester (and probably the world) and is consequently of great significance. For Stott see D Gurr and J Hunt, The Cotton Mills of Oldham (1985) page 25; for Ashton, J Haynes, Cotton in Ashton (1987), pages 47-8.

Listing NGR: SJ9364098581


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 212750

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Gurr, Duncan, Hunt, , The Cotton Mills of Oldham, (1989), 25
Haynes, J, Cotton in Ashton, (1987), 47-48

End of official listing