This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1068805



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: North Lincolnshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Epworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Sep-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165147

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SE 7803-7903 EPWORTH RECTORY STREET (north side)

20/86 The Old Rectory (formerly listed as The 27.9.51 Rectory)


Rectory, now house and museum. 1709 with later minor alterations; renovations of 1956-7. Red-brown brick, the south front in Flemish bond, west front in English garden wall bond. Pantile roof. Double-depth plan: 3-room south front incorporating central entrance hall; 2-room west garden front. 2 storeys with attic. South front: 7 bays, not quite regular, with central bay breaking forward. Ovolo-moulded plinth. Chamfered brick quoins. Entrance has C20 steps to wide 6-fielded-panel door and 4-pane overlight in architrave with slim C19 carved consoles carrying cornice and hood. C20 wooden plaque above, with painted motto and shield with arms in relief beneath broken pediment on consoles. 12-pane sashes in flush wooden architraves with restored ashlar sills and rubbed-brick flat arches, those to 3 ground-floor bays restored. (3 ground-floor and 5 first-floor windows were re-opened in 1950s restorations). 2-course brick first-floor band, stepped-out above ground-floor windows. Deep moulded and modillioned wooden eaves cornice incorporating gutter. Double-span roof, hipped to left, with raised concrete-coped gable to right. Corniced ridge stack to right of centre. Left return forms west front of 4 bays: similar details and windows (2 to ground floor with restored arches), hipped roof and C20 gabled roof dormer with 16-pane casement, corniced ridge stack to centre. Right return: three 12-pane sashes to ground and first floors, 3 unequal 9-pane sashes to attic, beneath segmental stretcher arches; twin gables with parapet between, corniced stack to right. Rear has irregular fenestration with hung and sliding sashes, C20 casements and French window, 4 gabled dormers with 16- pane casements. Interior. Entrance hall has restored chamfered basket- arched fireplace with tongue stops (the surrounding walls reputed to be sole surviving section of previous rectory), C19 moulded plaster cornice. Stairhall has fine original open-well closed-string staircase with wide corniced handrail, moulded string, turned balusters and square newel posts, one with a pendant drop, C19 moulded cornice to upper hall with acanthus leaf centre-piece and foliate mouldings to angles. Chamfered spine beam with tongue stops to ground floor rear right, boxed-in spine beam to front right, moulded cornices to front and rear left rooms, the latter also with beaded-panel cupboards with H-hinges. Reused section of timber framing for spine beam to first-floor front right, chamfered spine beams to other rooms, some with tongue stops. Plaster floors to attic. Collared rafter roof with pegged butt purlins. Built in 1709 to replace the previous rectory that was destroyed by fire earlier in the year, this house was the boyhood home of John and Charles Wesley. The attic contains "Old Jeffreys Chamber", scene of the famous hauntings recorded in John Wesley's Journal. Additions of 1883 by Francis Goddard of Lincoln were removed this century. Ceased being rectory in 1954 when it was purchased by the World Methodist Council who undertook restorations. Of considerable historic interest. W Read, History of the Isle of Axholme, 1858, p 140; N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 233; D L Roberts, "Lincolnshire and Humberside", in J Hadfield (ed), The Shell Book of English Villages, 1980, p 365; photographs in NMR.

Listing NGR: SE7851503578

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, J , The Shell Book of English Villages, (1980), 365
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 233
Read, W, History of the Isle of Axholme, (1858), 140

National Grid Reference: SE 78515 03578


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068805 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 04:43:12.

End of official listing