This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1072236

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bowland Forest Low

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 183071

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 64 NE BOWLAND FOREST LOW WHITEWELL

14/20 Church of St. Michael - GV II

Church, rebuilt in 1817, with chancel of 1896. Rendered rubble with sandstone dressings and slate roof. The south wall has projecting quoins and 3 cross windows with cusped heads to the upper lights, panel tracery above, and hood moulds. To their right is a chamfered door with 2-centred head and hood. To the left is a gabled porch with a chamfered doorway with 4-centred head . Above is a large piece of slate inscribed: 'This Chapel was rebuilt Anno Domini 1817 ....' The gables have copings, the eastern one with a cross at the apex, the western one with a square open stone bellcote. The west wall has a chamfered lancet window, the north wall having 4 windows similar to those on the south wall, but without hoods. The lower chancel is of exposed rubble, with an east window with 4-centred head, hood, and 4 lights with pointed, cusped lights. Against the north wall is a vestry, with a re-set Perpendicular window of 2 cusped lights with panel tracery above, under a flat head. Inside there is a west gallery of 1825 supported on 2 slim iron columns and with tracery decoration to its front. The shallow chancel has an arch of 2 chamfered orders and is lined with rock-faced sandstone. The east window shows the birth of Christ. The font is a plain bowl of sandstone on a base of re-used dressed masonry. A flat modern ceiling hides the roof.

Listing NGR: SD6588646881

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 65886 46881

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072236 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2018 at 07:08:18.

End of official listing