HOLLY BANK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1072586
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1997
Statutory Address:
HOLLY BANK, ORCHARD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOLLY BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072586 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jun-2019 at 22:29:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOLLY BANK, ORCHARD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SD6628501173

Details

SD 60 SE 1480/2/10007

LEIGH ORCHARD LANE Holly Bank II

Convent, formerly 2 dwellings. 1873, with minor alterations c. 1900. Built for James Hayes, industrialist and owner of Victoria Mills, Westleigh. Red brick with blue brick banding and painted dressings. Welsh slate roof with tall mid-slope chimney stacks. Gothic Revival style. T-plan, with double depth central range and single bay service range to rear. FRONT (south) ELEVATION: 2 storeys with attics, 4 bays, with steeply-pitched gables to the end bays which have canted bay windows with shallow parapets. Above, tripartite windows with pointed brick arched heads to the lights below hood moulds with label stops. Subdividing the opening are slender shafts with foliage capitals. Cill and window head bands in ashlar and blue brick. 2 light attic windows in gable apex with semi-circular heads incorporating quatrefoil lights. Plain barge boards. 2 inner bays with tripartite ground floor shallow bay windows, beneath hipped roofs, above, coupled lights with pointed arched heads, and gabled dormers with barge boards and finials. All windows are undivided sashes. REAR ELEVATION has gabled end bays and a central lower 2-storey service range with hipped roof. INTERIOR: not inspected, but known to retain a little-altered plan form, retaining the detailing of the original 2-unit design, but now with interconnecting doors. The house retains original panelled doors, moulded architraves and skirtings, and much decorative and ornamental plasterwork, particularly that within the stairwell of the eastern part. The staircase has turned balusters and a moulded handrail, and is set within a stairwell lit by a rectangular sky light incorporating decorative stained glass. Of particular note are the fireplaces to the ground floor rooms, with elaborate wooden surrounds and associated decorative plasterwork.

Listing NGR: SD6628501173

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
468874
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].