HALLIWELL FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1073026
Date first listed:
07-Jan-1952
Statutory Address:
HALLIWELL FARMHOUSE, LEES LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HALLIWELL FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073026 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jul-2019 at 18:56:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
HALLIWELL FARMHOUSE, LEES LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
West Lancashire (District Authority)
Parish:
Wrightington
National Grid Reference:
SD 51809 08596

Details

WRIGHTINGTON SD50NW LEES LANE 1283-/10/10007 Halliwell Farmhouse 07/01/52 - II*

Part of gentry hall-house, subsequently farmhouse, now house. Dated 1671 on porch; partly reduced and rebuilt in C18. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, stone slate roof, brick chimney. Irregular plan formed by a short one-bay double-depth C18 main range and a 2-bay C17 crosswing at the east end with a contemporary porch overlapping the main range (see History below). Two storeys, 1:1:1 windows, with a projecting 2-storey gabled porch offset left of centre, a moulded plinth carried round this and the wing to the right, and a chamfered plinth to the main range. The porch has a fine round-headed outer doorway with moulded surround and imposts, a simple square-headed inner doorway (belonging to the later rebuilding), a datestone lettered H L A 1671 and above this a 6-light double-chamfered mullion-and-transom window with a cavetto-moulded hoodmould. To the right, the gable of the wing has similar mullion-and-transom windows on both floors, 10 lights at ground floor and 8 above, with a drip-band over that at ground floor carried round. The right-hand return wall of this wing, which steps out at midpoint, has double-chamfered mullioned windows of 5 and 5 lights at ground floor, 3 and 4 lights above, the lower protected by the drip-band and the upper with hoodmoulds. The rear of the wing has a 3-light mullioned window at ground floor and a similar stair-window to the right (both with mullions now rendered on the outside), and above the stairwindow a small 2-light window under the eaves (without a mullion, and a 3rd light to the left blocked). The C18 main range has one square window on each floor, both recently fitted with stone mullions; and to the left of this is a C20 addition. INTERIOR: the wing has a fine segmental-arched parlour fireplace with moulded surround, and above this an ex situ datestone with raised lettering "R. B./ 1649"; quarter-round moulded beams on both floors; timber-flamed partitioning to the stairwell (but altered staircase) and to the chambers at 1st floor; and a chamber fireplace with chamfered surround. HISTORY: 6 hearths recorded in 1666 (the second highest in Up Holland); wing added in 1671 by Lawrence Halliwell, gent., and his wife Alice. A good example of alternate rebuilding, the wing (with the transomed windows and parlour fireplace charactersitic of gentry status) evidently having been added to a much larger hall-range (probably timber-framed) which was taken down and replaced in the C18. [Reference: private report and survey by Garry Miller, 1988.] Forms a group with the barn approx. 20m north-east (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SD5180908596

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357903
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/07456/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].