HIGHER LANE HEAD LOWER LANE HEAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1073334

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Aug-1988

Statutory Address: HIGHER LANE HEAD, SCHOOL LANE

Statutory Address: LOWER LANE HEAD, SCHOOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGHER LANE HEAD
LOWER LANE HEAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073334 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 15:43:18.

Location

Statutory Address: HIGHER LANE HEAD, SCHOOL LANE

Statutory Address: LOWER LANE HEAD, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Pendle (District Authority)

Parish: Laneshaw Bridge

National Grid Reference: SD 91721 41056

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following buildings shall be added:-

SD 94 SW COLNE EMMOTT LANE (west side) Laneshaw Bridge 8/289 Lower and Higher Lane Head

- II

Farmhouse now 2 dwellings. Early C17, altered C20. Deeply-coursed gritstone stone slate roof. T-shaped plan 2 storeys, each range of 2 cells. Large quoins; hollow- chamfered mullioned windows. Main range has intact housebody window of 7 lights beneath hoodmould; altered opening on right then C20 gabled porch re-using C17 material; original Tudor-arched doorway within porch has bulbous chamfer stops. 4, altered 1st floor windows in quoined openings. Both floors of crosswing on right have 4-light (originally 5-light) mullioned windows with hoodmoulds. Chamfered gable copings; 2 ridge stacks over main range; external stack to left of crosswing has offset, waterspout and 2 diagonally-set flues. Rear of crosswing: two 2-light windows to ground floor (mullions removed); intact 3-light window above. Main range has rounded doorway on left (opposite that of porch). Interior: triangular- headed doorways link all rooms, except ground floor of crosswing; fireplace with similar arch backs onto external stack. Stop-chamfered ceiling joists in housebody set on corbels and chamfered offset.

(Sarah Pearson, Rural Houses of the Lancashire Pennines 1560-1760, RCHM, 1985 p. 145

Listing NGR: SD9172141056

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 186425

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pearson, S, Rural Houses of the Lancashire Pennines 1560-1760, (1985), 145

End of official listing