HOUSE,WITH WINGS,STABLES AND COLLONADES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1073792

Date first listed: 18-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: HOUSE,WITH WINGS,STABLES AND COLLONADES

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOUSE,WITH WINGS,STABLES AND COLLONADES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073792 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 19:45:08.

Location

Statutory Address: HOUSE,WITH WINGS,STABLES AND COLLONADES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rutland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Burley

National Grid Reference: SK8839610194

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 81 SE BURLEY 3/8 Burley on the Hill: House, with wings, stables and collonades

I

Large country house, 1694 - 1705,formerly a hospital built for Daniel Finch, 2nd Earl of Nottingham to replace a former house built by the 1st Duke of Buckingham and fired in the Civil War. The stable block of the earlier house survived and was incorporated into the new composition, possibly influencing its scale, by its distance from the house itself. Although various names are mentioned in connection with the work, notably that of John Lumley, it now seems probable that the Duke of Nottingham was his own architect, and that Lumley was only one of a number of surveyors/master masons. House, pavillions and stables, with their connecting collonades, form a single composition, Baroque in composition, Palladian in detail. The house forms the main block: faced with ashlar Clipsham stone, 15 bays by 7. Rusticated basement, and ground floor raised as piano mobile, 1st floor of same height, lower attic 2nd storey. Cornice and balustrade above. Rusticated angle quoins, sill courses. Principal elevations are arranged 2-4-3-4-2, with slightly projecting outer wings. Pedimented central section contains, on each front, a wide central doorway with lugged architrave, carved consoles, and foliate frieze, curved broken pediment with monogram and coronet, approached by a wide curving flight of steps with fine wrought-iron balustrade. Above this, 4 engaged Corinthian columns span the 1st and 2nd storeys below the pediment, which contains a coat of arms. South front has additional 1 storey corridor of 8 bays, with rusticated basement and cornice, recessed to the left.

Side elevations of 7 bays, 1-5-1, outir bays slightly projecting, and doorway raised up double flight of curving steps with wrought-iron balustrade. Basement windows throughout have voussoirs and keystones, all other openings have moulded architraves. All windows are sashes with glazing bars.

On the north, short quadrant collonades of 4 bays with Tuscan columns, triglyph and rosette frieze, and a cornice bearing urns, link the house with its flanking pavillions. Each of these is ashlar faced with angle quoins and hipped slate roof. 2 storeys, 7 bays. Central door in plain architrave with moulded cornice above, wood mullion and transom windows, with plain architraves, and voussoirs to ground floor openings. A short 4-bay collonade continues the line of these pavillions, and leads into the grandiose main collonade, which sweeps the composition outwards in a curving 13 bays of Tuscan columns, with plain triglyph frieze. All piers have a marked entasis. This line is terminated by the stable blocks. That to the east survives from Buckingham's house, remaining almost as built, though modified after a fire in 1705, and now lacking its original pedimented gables. Coursed rubble, with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys, 13 bays, 3-7-3, with central door in round-arched opening with massively expressed voussoirs and keystone. Wood mullion and transom windows with architraves. String course, and moulded stone eaves cornice. The western block mimics this exactly, but is of less depth.

Inside the house, much was gutted by fire in 1908, though subsequently reconstructed. There are a number of fine wood and plaster panelled rooms, notably the saloon and the small drawing room. The dining room has a screen of detached columns at either end and exquisite plaster ceiling and wall panels in the style of Adam, but restored following the fire.

BURLEY Burley on the Hill: House, with wings, stables and collonades continuation

The book room has been formed from fine cases salvaged from the former library. The large entrance hall has a pedimented doorway in the saloon, and left of it, is the staircase hall. The staircase is early C18, cantilevered wood openstring stair with turned balusters and carved risers. The walls and ceiling have paintings by Lanscroon of 1708-12, darkly coloured, vigorously moulded classical mythological scenes. Upstairs, the Ballroom spans the width of the house and rises through 2 storeys, it is galleried and has fine plasterwork, and woodwork. This room was formerly also painted, but this was lost in the fire. Throughout the house, the oak doors and brass door furniture are noteworthy.

Listing NGR: SK8839610194

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 187288

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 26 Leicestershire,

End of official listing