This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ST JOHN CHAMBERS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST JOHN CHAMBERS

List entry Number: 1074776

Location

ST JOHN CHAMBERS, 2, ASHWELL STREET, LEICESTER, LE1 6JJ

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Leicester

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Mar-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188807

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/01/2017

718/9/431

2 ASHWELL STREET ST JOHN CHAMBERS

(Formerly listed as CHURCH OF ST JOHN CHAMBERS (former CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE)

02-MAR-73

II

Former Parish church of 1854-55 by G.G. Scott, converted to apartments late 1980s.

MATERIALS: Random red-granite rubble with limestone dressings and buff sandstone banding, slate roof.

PLAN: Aisled nave with north tower and corresponding south transept, and aisled chancel.

EXTERIOR: Mainly in the style of c1300 favoured by Scott, although the character is now compromised by modern window frames and skylights in the steep roof. The west front, facing Ashwell Street, has an elaborate doorway with nook shafts, below a band of 5 cusped lancets, and rose window in the gable. Aisles have pointed windows with modern domestic window frames. The 3-stage tower has angle buttresses, north-east polygonal turret, and plain parapet added in the 1950s when the spire was removed. In the lower stage are 2 lancets below a round window with quatrefoil tracery lights. The second stage has narrow cusped windows, and the upper stage has 2-light bell openings. The south transept has a 4-light south window. The former chapels in the chancel aisles have 3-light east windows, and the south has 3 south windows, of which the central retains window tracery. The chancel east end is a polygonal apse with 2-light windows.

INTERIOR: Not inspected; thought to be comprehensively altered.

HISTORY: Parish church of 1854-55 by G.G. Scott, built at a cost of about £7,000, originally with a spire that was taken down in the 1950s. Sir George Gilbert Scott (1811-78) began practice in the mid 1830s and became the most successful church architect of his day. His churches generally have a harmonious quality which derived their character from the architecture of the late C13 or early C14. The church of St John the Divine is a good example of his style and was one of the first Leicester churches to be built following ecclesiological principles. The interior was built with arcades of round piers and foliage capitals, and included glass by William Wailes and a wrought-iron screen of 1903 by C.H. Lohr. The church was redundant by the 1980s and was converted to apartments in the late 1980s.

SOURCES: G. Brandwood, The Anglican Churches of Leicester, 1984, pp 37-38, plate 38. N. Pevsner (revised E. Williamson), The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, 1984, p 211.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: St John Chambers (former church of St John the Divine), Leicester, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It was one of the earliest churches in Leicester to be built under ecclesiological principles, by one of the foremost church architects of the C19. * The church retains external character and detail, and possesses special interest notwithstanding its internal alterations and loss of fixtures.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 59211 03978

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074776 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2018 at 08:48:07.

End of official listing