FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUMBER 8

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1076516

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUMBER 8, BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUMBER 8
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076516 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 13:28:04.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUMBER 8, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry (District Authority)

Parish: Weedon Bec

National Grid Reference: SP 62610 59530

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEEDEN BEC

1732/16/185 BRIDGE STREET 29-APR-87 LOWER WEEDON (West side) FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUM BER 8

GV II* Warehouse. 1804-10, and one of an even-numbered group to the south side of the canal. Flemish bond red brick with gauged brick dressings to arches, hipped slate roof replacing M-shaped Welsh roof. Rectangular plan with central vestibule with stairs opening into flanking storerooms. 2 storeys, 11-window range to north elevation facing canal. Central doors with 12-panel double-leaf doors flanked by stone pilasters supporting Doric entablature with cambered arches over tripartite sash windows above. Similar wider blocked doorways either end, with similar windows above. Semi-circular arched ground-floor windows, being 2-light wooden casements of late C19 date, set in semi-circular arched recesses. Late C19 horned 6/6-pane sashes to first floor. Centre and ends project slightly. Plinth and first-floor string course. Unusual for the survival of its stone cornice and blocking course. Brick parapet. The south elevation is similar but makes use of the fall of the land to accommodate a basement storey; this is treated in a robust classical manner, with grey sandstone vermiculated rustication and semi-circular arches over original nail-studded plank doors beneath louvred tympanae. The centre bay projects, having iron railings that open out to the central loading area. There is a short section of retaining wall, with steps rising to canal basin area, to either end. Interior: basement has brick tunnel vaults to each bay. 3 rows of stop-chamfered timber posts with pillow beams support first floor. Steel trusses of 1938, when roofs remodelled. Open string staircase with chamfered and scroll-stopped newels, diamond-set balusters and moulded handrail. Semi-circular arched doorways, set in semi-circular arched recesses, provide access to storerooms. This building has the most complete range of surviving features, including pivots for a jig crane and a wall-mounted hydraulic jigger with pulley wheel, from the hydraulic crane system installed on the site c1886.

Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. For full details see description of Storehouse No 2.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 360831

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing